v

You can dig so deep for scars
You never knew your mind was dark
Come on and breathe with me, oh
Breathe with me, oh!

When she admitted that she attempted suicide, my world came crashing down. Whatever cloud I was up on evaporated and I was left to deal with the cold, hard truth.

My best friend, maybe even more, wanted to die.

She confessed that she thought she didn't have it in her to do such a brutal thing, but times must've been low.

I convinced her that I loved her, and she was safe with me, but it only caused her breaths to quicken and her already clammy hands to shake violently. I had dealt with that sort of stuff before, my friend Alex had anxiety, but I had never witnessed a panic attack that bad. I tried to get her to breathe in and out with me, and it seemed to help, after that I left her alone. I didn't want to make anything worse and I had never dealt with something of that intensity before.
After a while she managed to calm down and when her breathing appeared to be normal again, I hugged her and whispered, "I was scared, don't do that again"

I knew it was selfish of me to expect her to stop having panic attacks, but it stressed me out seeing her so vulnerable. All I got from my comment  was a meek laugh and the muttering of the words, "I never knew my mind was so dark"

It scared me, and I definitely wasn't prepared for what was to happen.