Adventure winner - Interview with CAT

Interview with - CatC171

Interviewed by - Torieasy

---------------------------------------------------------------
1. How did you find out about Wattpad?

From a writing group on Discord. A friend of mine had been releasing their stories there so I thought I'd give it a go too.

2. What does it mean to you to receive the winners' position for the champ Easter awards 2k19?

More than I can put into words. I entered the competition with no real intentions or presumptions, and to receive first place means that someone read my work and enjoyed it. That means more than anything else.

3. What motivated you to participate in the contest?

The Song of the Black Sea was gaining a bit of traction, and I noticed the Champ Awards when I was browsing the site. I figured, hell, why not? Even if I didn't win, it meant exposure for the story at the very least, and also it was a means to find other stories to read as well.

4. At what age did you start to take an interest in writing?

I've always been interested in telling stories, ever since I was little. Even in school I was always drawn to the creative writing subjects and catered my further education around this pursuit.

I didn't start writing properly until maybe five or six years ago when I wanted to try my hand at actually finishing a story rather than just fantasizing about key scenes in stories I'd dreamed up. To date I've finished numerous stories with lots more on the way.

5. How was the reaction of readers to the first chapter of your first book, when you just began on wattpad?

My first book was a horror short I published as an experiment. To this day it's the least viewed story on my profile, but I didn't really promote it much at the time so I guess that makes sense.

6. At any point in writing, did you feel the need to take a break?

A break from writing, sure, when I felt burnt out from that I usually would pursue other creative outlets such as my art. I've definitely felt fatigue from a story, but I like to juggle multiple projects so if I'm not thinking about one story, I'm instead building another one.

7. Do you feel any pressure to update due to the amount of readers you have?

Oh, definitely. I feel an obligation to deliver updates to them if they've stuck around to read my work, and will usually stick to a one chapter a week schedule to allow time for both readers to read and also for me to make sure the chapter is the way I want it before I publish.

8. Do you have a favorite among all the books you've written?

That's a very hard question! Some stories I definitely feel closer to than others because I've poured more of myself into them. Of the stories available on Wattpad, I'd say my paranormal mystery novella "Inverted" is probably the one I'm most proud of.

9. Who would you say is your biggest inspiration as a writer?

Terry Pratchett plays a big role in how I approach writing my stories. I adore his work so much, and not only is his work some of the funniest stuff I've ever read, his work contains so much pathos, it's very refreshing as a reader. Pratchett wrote because he was angry, and wanted to change the world he lived in by exploring his own world of Discworld. I can only hope to aspire to be like him one day.

10. Have you really just sat down to take a few seconds to realize just how popular your work has become?

Occasionally! It's kind of overwhelming to realise my little stories that started off as a spark of inspiration could turn into something so many people would be drawn to. I read every single comment people post and to this day, I'm bowled over by the reception by other members on this site. It really means a lot to me.

11. Where do you get your writing inspirations?

This is going to sound really cliché, but everywhere! I get a lot of inspiration from TV, from books or music. Sometimes long walks in the woods or a long, hot shower can really get the brain juice flowing too.

A lot of the time, I will see something but think it could be better, or consider a different angle to approach the same subject. Being more contemplative about what I consume had made me a better writer as a consequence.

12. If you could swap  your life with one book character, who would it be?

Of my books? Probably Molly from Inverted. She's a level headed young woman who helps the protagonist Ash keep one foot in reality.

Of any book though? Captain Carrot from Terry Pratchett's Watch books wouldn't be such a bad life to slip into, I suppose.

13. Which character can you relate the most from your book?

Definitely Captain Brewl from The Song of the Black Sea. He's a very world weary chap who's been dealt a somewhat poor hand in life. However, the way he deals with his disappointments is very realistic, and feels very much like the normal person around the much more interesting and fantastic people he finds himself surrounded by.

14. When you have a writer's block, what do you do to get rid of it?

Writer's block is a real pain, but because of my methods of coping with burn out, I can find ways to circumvent it most times: if I get stuck writing The Song of the Black Sea, I'll write some more for The National Curriculum of Magic, or I'll work on some art.

Usually though, a long hot bath or shower really helps stimulate ideas to take root, and also lets my mind wander and consider ideas I might not have thought of otherwise.

15. What do you like to do during your free time?

I play a tonne of video games,  (I also get a lot of inspiration from these too, I forgot to say earlier!). When I'm not spending time with my family, you can usually find me knee deep in a game.

16. How would you encourage writing?

It's been said a thousand times before, but read. Reading is the best way to both expand your vocabulary and world knowledge.

Also, don't be afraid of taking inspiration from your favourite authors: emulating their style and tone is a great way to hone your own skill as a writer and forge your own unique way to tell stories.

17. Where do you see yourself in the next 3-5 years?

No matter whether I manage to forge a career out of writing, I will always tell stories. I was telling stories as a child, I'll be telling them for many more years to come. Ideally, of course I'd love to make money from writing, but if not, I'm happy to keep it as a hobby if it never happens.

18. Is there anything you would like to say to your fans/supporters?

A huge thank you! You're the ones that give me motivation to continue stories I don't think are good enough, or give me new found confidence when I'm in a slump with a story.

To quote Woolie Madden: I expected nothing, and you gave me everything.

19. What advice would you like to pass across to all the struggling writers out there?

If you don't find time to write, you won't do it, so set aside time to do it. never be afraid of writing things that make you sad or angry. And read, read read.