ONE

"NEVAEH HARRIS AND DOMINIQUE PATRICIA RODNEY TO THE RECEPTION PLEASE!" the receptionist's voice filled the classroom through the radio. All heads turned to face us I looked at my bestie confused as ever we ain't beat up nobody recently.

"Why is this hoe mentioning my government for the whole world to hear?" I laughed as we got up heading through the empty halls.

"Ladies sign out, Neaveah's brother is here to pick you up for a family event" Mrs Marshall said barely paying attention. We smiled knowing it was Christian - my next door neighbour but he is family he is always checking on me and my mum and making sure we're good.

We walked out seeing his black camero and getting in the backseats.

"Hey brotherrr" I smiled

"Oh whatever it needed to be convincing, I'm surprised they let Unique come"

"Oh please we done told them we're cousins. If I'm leaving she leaving!" Dominique laughed twerking in her seat.

"No need for all of that" he said shaking his head

I felt a pain in my stomach so I got a drink of water and sat back in the seat. "Hey bighead we going to see mama?"

"Why else would I be taking you out of school?" He looked down his eyes filling with sadness." It's time she is tired, the doctor said she's only gonna last a few hours so I came to get you"

"I understand, I think I'm ready to let her go she can't suffer anymore and it would be selfish for me to make her feel bad I will go live my dad."

"That is my strong girl cherish these last few hours okay."We pulled up at the hospital and I rushed inside leaving them in the car.
Swiftly, I got in her room and ran towards her bed hugging her gently tears streaming down my face.

"No tears today honey we're ready for this. I just wanted to tell you God doesn't give you any battle you can't handle keep your trust in God and pray every day like I told you to. It's the end of my journey and trust God has a journey for everyone this cancer is what was written for me. I wished I could've been a better mother to you but I tried my best. I'm going to God right now and trust and believe that is better than staying on earth. Try not to cry baby when it gets hard pray and know I can hear you and so can God. I love you, you will always be the best thing that ever happened to me... my little blessing." She said slowly with her weak strained voice.

" Oh mom you've been the best I wouldn't ask for anyone else, God has got you and I promise I won't stop praying." I cleaned my tears with my sweater as I laid on her chest and I could hear her staggered breathing.

"Your father is on his way he will look after you and you're going to move to England just like we planned. You're going to finish school there and be the best woman you can be, make me and you're father proud. Now baby sing summertime by Ella Fitzgerald." My mum got comfortable just as Christian and Unique came in.

I kissed her cheek and began to sing although my voice was the worse my mum loved it when I would sing this song to her.

"Summertime, and the living is easy

Fish are jumping and the cotton is high

Oh, your daddy's rich and your ma is good looking

So hush, little baby, don't you cry

One of these mornings you're gonna rise up singing

And you'll spread your wings and you'll take to the sky

But till that morning, there ain't nothing can harm you

With daddy and mammy standing by-

"BEEP" "BEEP" "BEEP" the machine continued to make noise I cried quietly as I knew my mum had gone, I had lost her to cancer. I squeezed her body as Christian engulfed me in his arms and Unique cried in the corner. The nurses rushed in trying their attempts to save her but it was too late they said sorry and left us to say goodbye. I hugged Christian and he rocked me in his arms, Unique came over and stroked my hair.
I remembered what my mum said and I went down upon my knees and began to pray Unique did the same beside me squeezing my hand Christian walked out to call my dad.