Chapter Four: Reckless

My keys to my apartment jiggle in my hands as I unlock my door

My keys to my apartment jiggle in my hands as I unlock my door. I wince as my shoulder pierces in pain. Blood drops in quick patterns. For some reason, I happen to get lost around the city. While I was lost, I decided to do some grocery shopping for dinner along the way. Again, for some reason, I happen to come across some villains. I bust open the door with my foot. "Ah!" I toss the groceries on the floor, my body stumbling backwards up against the door. The door slams, my knees going weak.

"Damn it!" I scream, tears sweeping through. After my accident, I have gotten weaker. I accidentally squeeze the wound, which makes me groan in pain. I look down to see my whole hand covered in blood. Somehow, my shoulder winces in pain again. However, my hand was not on the wound this time.

My soulmate...

They are hurting because of me.

"I'm sorry..." I whimper, my blurry eyes glancing at my hand. I had to bite my lip to hold back my cries. My soulmate must be gripping their shoulder or maybe treating their pain. I get up, my body wanting to stumble over again. My clean hand grabs all the groceries as I walk over to the living room. I toss them down on the coffee table.

I don't want to eat right now.

I'm too tired.

My body just wants to give up at this point.

What's the point anymore? I shouldn't even be a pro hero anymore.

Once I enter my room, I walk over towards the bed. But my wound.. I need to clean it. I turn my head as I face the bathroom. But, just like that, my eyes close as my body goes backwards on the bed.

                                •  •  •

I wake up by someone slapping my legs. "Dear, please! Get up!" I open my eyes, the sun hitting my face immediately. I go to sit up but pain shoots through my shoulder. "Ah!" I lay back down. "You're so stupid, Misa! Stay down!" I open my eyes wider, looking over to see who was yelling.

"Grandma?"

"You are always either hurt or asleep! You are a hero, for Gods sake. You make money! You save people!" She rants as she walks over to my bathroom. I massage my temple, anger rising. "What time is it, old woman?" I sit up, ignoring the pain. "It's 11. It's almost noon!" She walks back in, her curls bouncing against her shoulders. Even at her age, she is still up and everywhere. It surprises me.

She walks up to me with a wet cloth, pills, and bandages. "I'm fine, I always do it myself." I try to push her away but she slaps my wrist. "Shut up." I sigh knowing that she won that battle. I slip off my shirt slowly making sure I don't press my wound.

I toss my bloody shirt away. She sighs shaking her head. "What now? You complain about everything!" She scoffs ignoring me as she begins her work. Her quirk? It was healing by touch. It was simple. She couldn't heal big, trauma wounds.

"So, how have you been? You stopped calling me and visiting me for awhile." My eyes soften as I look away. "I'm sorry. I've been going through a hard time." She nods, staying silent. I'm about to say something else but I stop myself. She chuckles as she lifts up my arm to wrap up my shoulder. "Tell me. I know you have been keeping your feelings to yourself." She moves away as she moves everything off my bed to the trash. "You act strong for other people. You think people don't notice. But, they do." She adds. I watch her while she goes through my closet. Her hands grab a black sweater, walking back to me. She groans in pain as she actually sits down next to me.

I quickly slip on the sweater. I bite my bottom lip in pain. "Misa... Maybe you should retire." I turn to her. "No. No." I laugh shaking my head. She always talks about this. Especially after everything that happened to me recently.

"What? Why, dear? I worry about you, everyday! Yes, you are still popular among Japan, you have fans. However, there are bad people out there who disagree. People still call you a villain!"

My hands go over my face, my head pounding.

"Talk to me,"

"I want to save lives. I don't want people to worry about their safety, Grandma! This world is become more evil. I want to help-

"There are tons of heroes out there. There is honestly more heroes out on the streets instead of police! You can quit now!"

I clench my fists..

"No. I'm not. I'm still strong! I know for a fact, that I can use my quirk for good. I do so everyday. That's why I'm so popular!"

She rolls her eyes, crossing her arms.
"So it's about popularity to you?"

"No, of course not." I scoff. I begin to pace the room.

"You almost lost your life. You were scary, Misa! Yes, you saved lives, you won. But, honey... The way you looked. Blood all over your face and body. Y-You are sobbing over their bodies... on national television! Your quirk, yes, it's powerful. But it has a good side and a bad side."

The silence was uncomfortable. Soon, the silence breaks by her sobs. "You went too far that day. Over what, huh? Some petty villain! You just wanted to die!" She stands up, grabbing her purse.

"W-Where are you going?" I stutter out, a small choker whimper. Her hand grips the door knob, her back facing me.

My lips begin to tremble.

"Yes, I did go too far. I didn't plan on wanting to die at first. But, he provoked me. He knew how to hurt me, he knew my quirk well. That's how he got inside my head. My quirk gets inside people's head. That's how I can make them hallucinate their worst fear. But his back story, it fit mine. Later, the battle was just to extreme. People died, I only saved a few people. I started panicking, which he had a laugh about. I couldn't reach him without him taunting me! I was damaged, my mind was killing me. I began to hallucinate myself." My voice breaks.

I haven't talked about this in years.
I'm shocked myself that I'm talking about it. It just scares me til this day.

My grandma turns around finally, her purse now on the floor.

I continue:

"While fighting, I realized that death was near for me. A part of me, yes, wanted to die. My dark thoughts scared me. It haunts me knowing how I acted. I was reckless. Soon, he melted in my hands." I look down at my hands. I blink away tears as they fall. I chuckle, my hands reaching up to my face to wipe away my tears. I look up at her to meet her eyes.

"It seems like I've been crying everyday.." She shakes her head, running up to me. Her arms wrap around me tightly. "Oh dear.. I'm so sorry that I brought it up! Please, forgive me." I hug her back as she continues to sob into my shoulder. While I held her, I continued to silently think about that accident.

I remember thinking about my soulmate.
If I would have died. A innocent life, my soulmates life, would have been gone because of my self pity and recklessness.

"Let's go out today, Grandma. Maybe to your favorite cafe? Oh! I can show you the school that I'm going to be teaching at." Once she hears that, she moves away to smile up at me.

"You are going to be at teacher!"

"Yes," I smile and nod. "at U.A!"

She gasps, her hands going to her mouth.
"You idiot! You just tell me this! You have to tell your grandpa!" She quickly grabs her purse and my hand. "Let's go!"

I nod, reaching for my keys on my bedside table.

Starting next week, I have to shove down all my issues for these kids, this new life ahead of me. This is going to be a new start. My life matters.