Chapter One: Misa Hamasaki

drip

drip... drip...

Little droplets from the faucet fell gently into the water. The hot water sticking to my body. I count all the bruises on my legs and stomach. Some of the marks are from patrol this morning. But, to my surprise, I had few from my soulmate. I never really gotten marks from them. That really began to worry me for awhile. But, there was nothing to worry about in the end. That means that they are probably really careful or don't do anything that's dangerous like I do. I feel bad most of the time because I always got hurt in some way.

Silence continues to fill the bathroom as I stayed still. I wrap my shaking arms around my knees.

Will I ever meet them?

I have never felt so lonely in my life before until now. Everyday, the same routine, never ending. The main reason you came back to Japan was to find a reason to continue on. Maybe I wouldn't be so lonely anymore. Maybe I'll meet whoever is my soulmate.

I wonder if they hate me...

I chuckle at the thought, my lips trembling..

I close my eyes briefly, tears filling my eyes immediately.

Everything came crashing down. My mind on pause as I cried into my knees. My bruised, aching knees.

My head snaps up when I hear the phone ring loudly from my room. "Shit! Are you serious?" I quickly stand up, grabbing the pink towel from the rack. My knees shake as I quickly throw my hair up in a quick, unsuccessful bun.

The phone continues to ring as I burst out of the bathroom. My wet feet slip around on the wood floor until I reach the phone. Who even calls at midnight?

"Hello, this is Pro Hero: Mirage." I answer, breathlessly. I wipe my tears away, trying to keep my voice professional and calm.

"Mirage! Ha Ha! Hello, it's me, Principal Nezu!"

I immediately sigh in relief. Thank God.

"Ah, hello. How are you?"

"Ah, I'm well! I just wanted to make sure that you are coming in today for the entrance exams! You get to meet some of your students."

My brows furrowed once he said that. He calls me at 12:00 AM, just to make sure? He could have called at 7:00 o'clock.

It's not even the first day of school for them yet?

"Oh! Um, thank you for calling, Principal Nezu. But, are you sure you want me to go? I mean, I'm new.. I'm sure the former teachers should attend, not me,"

Nezu shushes me quickly.

"Misa! Shh, you are overthinking it! Just because you are a new employee, does not mean you shouldn't attend. You are a popular pro hero. You will definitely fit in. It's not high school, anymore! Haha!"