Chapter 21 - EPILOGUE

Joe leaned back in his office desk chair, running his hands through his messy hair and sighing happily. He had just hung up the phone with another publication wanting all the details of how he and Dianne had pulled off the Oasis Island con of the century. While it was getting old to repeat the same stories over and over, he couldn't help but be grateful for the attention.

His YouTube channel was surging again - he knew it wouldn't last forever, but he had already received a call from a few animated movie studios that had witnessed his goofy voices on the show. They were interested in getting him roles on some animated shorts - which Joe was hoping would lead him toward something bigger, and allow his career to expand beyond YouTube.

As soon as they had landed back in London, he and Caspar had jumped headfirst into actually getting their management company idea off the ground. As grueling as the Oasis Island experience had been, Joe had to admit, it had been great for his creativity and work ethic. He felt like he had finally been sprung loose, and was ready to take on all of his dreams headfirst.

His attention turned from his thoughts to the creak of his front door as it opened slowly and shut softly, his face transforming into a smile as he heard soft shuffling footsteps making their way toward his office.

"Hi, you," Joe murmured in a low voice as his office door cracked open and a lock of red hair came peeking through. "Come here."

Dianne opened the door fully and bounded across the floor and into his open arms, settling onto his lap comfortably. She breathed in his scent and felt her heart settle into a rhythm that matched his.

"I missed you today," she mumbled into his neck, kissing him lightly in that spot over and over again.

"I missed you more," Joe whispered back, pulling back slightly so he could look her in the eyes. "How was your audition?"

Dianne shrugged before responding nonchalantly, "I think good. It's always hard to read those tour choreographers. Everyone was so excited because some guy from the BBC was watching us, too. I have no clue why he was there though..."

Joe smiled slightly at her casual response. She had continued to surprise him the last month since leaving the mansion. He had been lucky enough to see her dance a few times now - and it drove him crazy how humble she always was when talking about auditions - he knew she was always one of the best.

"What are you smiling about?" Dianne asked softly, breaking him out his trance.

He smiled back, "Just...everything."

She sighed happily and leaned back into him. "It's crazy isn't it? So much has happened."

And so much had. After the bombshell that they had dropped on live TV, the last week in the mansion had been a blur. Despite Marisol's anger - at both Joe and Dianne and her subsequent firing from the show - Ben had surprisingly been ecstatic, convinced Joe and Dianne had intentionally pulled their stunt in response to the mediocre advice he had been giving Joe the whole time. That night, after he was somehow able to persuade Karen, the executive producer, to not suspend filming - he had worked with the editors to transform the show's PR nightmare into "the most dramatic season finale ever", bringing in the highest ratings the show had ever had.

Joe and Dianne hadn't actually won the show in the end - they had lost the last competition, eliminating them right before the live vote. Ironically, it was another puzzle challenge, and they had giggled hysterically to themselves as they walked out arm in arm - realizing Dianne hadn't needed to throw the competition week one - they were just genuinely terrible at puzzles.

Despite not winning, they had received the most publicity out of all of the couples. Dianne had been asked by the show to come back to London to do joint interviews for a week following the finale - and despite normally hating the press, Joe knew the extra time had been a blessing. On their flight back to London, they had found themselves constantly touching, as if to ensure that the whole experience had been real - grasping hands, exchanging soft kisses, and resting heavy heads on shoulders - drawing comfort from each other before the ensuing chaos. Between interviews, they had holed up in different hotels, staying away from the paparazzi, and learning every single detail about each other, deepening both their mental and physical connection - finally free of the eyes and ears of the Oasis Island cameras.

Joe blushed as he remembered waking up with Dianne in his arms after their first time together, holding her close and begging her to never leave. He had become the soppy mess he always hated - but as she had kissed him hard and pressed her naked body to his in response, he knew she didn't mind.

Plus, he had sort of gotten his wish. Dianne had been planning to return to Australia soon after that first week...but as more auditions for various dance tours had popped up, she had extended her stay, spending more and more nights at Joe's flat, settling into a domestic routine that made Joe's heart swell. He had known during that last week in the mansion, that Dianne was going to be a part of his life. He had just never imagined she would fit this well.

"Did you ever think it would happen?" Joe asked in a teasing voice.

"What?" Dianne asked, confused.

"That you'd catch real feelings on a reality show?" Joe asked softly, the teasing gone from his voice.

Dianne hugged him to her tightly. "Absolutely not. But can you even remember your life before Oasis Island? Because I can't."

Joe smiled against her hair, squeezing her against him before releasing and pulling back slightly to whisper, "You're the realest thing that's ever happened to me, Dianne Buswell. And I love you."

He watched that sparkle in Dianne's eyes grow even brighter as she murmured, "I love you more."

"Not possible."

"Shut up and kiss me, Joseph."

And so he did. And he would. Forever. 

—-

The End 

Thank you all for reading!! I had a ton of fun writing this, and I hope you all enjoyed the ride :)