Four

August 9th, 2019. Kate.

My parents traveling for work had its benefits. I loved when Jake would stay over, and I'd get to wake up next to him. He was cute with his eyes closer, and I'd stare at that peaceful face and play with his hair for a moment, until I'd inevitably fall back asleep for a little bit longer. The sun was creeping in through the bottom of the blinds, but I wasn't ready to accept the day was started.

"Good morning, beautiful," Jake woke me up with a greeting. He stood over me with a tray and I could smell freshly toasted bread with melted butter on top. I rubbed my eyes and slowly sat myself up on the silk sheets, a smile forming on my face.

"Thank you." I took the food from his hands and sat it in front of me. Eggs, toast, and orange juice. I was surprised that he woke up and thought of me. He was sweet when he wanted to be, but he was usually in the 'jackass jock' mode, especially around his friends. He'd never let them know that sweet Jake existed.

I reached towards the table and grabbed my phone. The group chat had dozens of new messages I'd have to read. I groaned. How Becca managed to be up later than me was beyond me. The texts were nothing special, just making plans for Jake's party tonight. Becca said she'd come to my house at seven and get ready with me, then Matthew agreed to drive us. Jake was typically my ride, but since it was his party, he needed to be here.

"I have to go to practice, and I'll see you tonight." He leaned down and kissed my forehead before he threw on a shirt. I hated seeing those abs being covered up. I gave him my large eyes and pouted lips.

I watched him as he walked away, my soul feeling crushed already. Every couple said they were the perfect couple, but we truly were. We also just happened to be the most physically attractive couple in the school, therefore, it was destiny. Everyone said we'd break up before college but we're making plans on where to go, together. He could get a scholarship anywhere, and my parents had enough money to buy my way into any school I wanted.

The worst part about my parents being gone, was the loneliness when Jake was gone. The bed was empty, the house was empty, I was empty.

I finished my breakfast then threw it on the nightstand, letting my eyes drift me off into sleep again.

My parents being gone also meant one cool thing: they always left me a credit card. They felt guilty for always being gone, and told me I could go shopping. I had a five-hundred dollar limit, and an audi. Right after waking up, I threw on an outfit, brushed my hair and teeth, picked out a cute pair of shoes, and grabbed my purse.

I needed retail therapy, and a new dress for the party. I'd never be caught at one of his parties, wearing something I wore before. Well, maybe years ago, before he noticed I was there. Back when I was the girl with short, curly hair, glasses, and braces. But the summer after that, I lost my braces, got contacts, and found extensions and straightening treatments. I also grew boobs.

I parked in front of my boutique, locking the car and heading inside. As I walked past all of the display clothes, I glided my fingers across the smooth fabric, caressing the cotton, rayon, and silk fabrics. I took a deep breath in, feeling relieved already.

I found my way to the dress section in the back, my favorite place for summer, and picked up a few dresses to try on.

"Oh. Hi Laura, I didn't know you worked here now," I said. I didn't know Laura well, just that she was on a sex tape with Brent and one of his pathetic friends. She hung out with the group before that night, now she wasn't around much. I felt kind of bad, but not too bad, seeing as I participated in calling her names and making fun of her behind her back.

"Yeah. My parents said I needed a part time job. I love this place. The clothes are adorbs." I smiled as she talked, hoping my face showed some sort of fake interest. "You can just go in."

Three of the dresses were absolute nos, but one might have been the dress. It was a cute yellow sundress, off the shoulder, with flowers printed all over. I hated to do this, but I needed a second opinion and Becca wasn't with me, nor did she know cute clothes.

"That dress is perf. Are you wearing it to Jake's tonight?" she questioned. I knew Laura had a good taste, so I knew the dress was the right one. I nodded my head, hoping she'd ask no further questions about the party.

"See you there!" she sounded eager. I smiled, walking back into my fitting room and changing into my regular clothes. Shopping didn't disappoint; it never did.

After a long day, I was excited to finally arrive at the party and see Jake again. Upon entering the house, I immediately ran off when I saw his face through the crowd. I didn't have to worry about the other girls here before me, because they all knew he was mine. I watched as Becca safely made her way to a chair outside, then sprung myself onto Jake's back. I kissed him on the cheek and I could hear the crowd around us saying "aw," which made me smile. "Missed you."

I set myself down and walked with him hand in hand to the kitchen, where he poured me my typical vodka cranberry that he made fun of me for drinking. I pressed my cup against his before taking a giant swig. The way I drank my alcohol, you'd swear there's a shot in here.

I watched as Brent brought Becca a drink, and nudged Jake. "Becca is being given alcohol. We've got to go out there for this." I laughed. The big moment. I didn't think she'd have the balls to actually even take a sip tonight.

Brent jumped in the pool and I followed behind him. I sat down on the edge, dipping my feet in. I'd save the swimming for when Jake came back. I didn't watch where he went, but I imagine he had to tend to hosting duties.

"Come on, Kate," Brent tried to beg in the creepiest way that made me uncomfortable.

I shooked my head.

Only a few minutes passed before Jake was behind me, sitting and spreading his legs around mine, kissing the back of my head. "Becca is laying down. She's fine."

I moved my body slowly towards the pool and then jumped into the shallow end, my lower half submerged in water. I turned around to face Jake and laid my arms to rest at the edge of the pool. Part of me was concerned for Becca, but I knew she just couldn't handle her alcohol and she'd sleep it off for a bit. I grabbed his hand and pulled him convincingly into the water with me, and we began a splash war.

The swimming didn't last long. Jake had been called to play beer pong. I let myself dry by laying on one of the beach chairs with a towel spread out, but the relaxing didn't last long before Laura tried to make conversation with me.

"No one knows the fully story, you know," she said. I imagined she was talking about the sex tape. "Did you even watch it?" The thought made me want to vomit.

"No, of course not."

"The worst part is that all of these people judged me, but if you watched the video close enough, you'd get a key piece of information." She was vague, and I was uninterested.

I looked over at the beer pong table, but Jake wasn't there anymore. I couldn't think of the last time I saw him even.

"I'm going to go look for Jake." I got myself out of that situation.

I walked into his house and looked around, but his sandy hair was nowhere to be found.

"Do you know where Jake is?" I asked the people near me, and finally one pointed upstairs, and they laughed after.

I walked myself up the stairs slowly. No one was up here besides a few people sitting on the stairs. His door was partially opened, and I pushed it open a few more inches. I heard heavy breathing. I almost didn't want to open the door, but something said I needed to. I looked at his bed, the source of the breathing, and saw his hair. Under him, was a woman. I started to turn away, disgusted, and when my eyes fell on the floor, I knew who it was. The same clothes I dressed her in were on the floor. I ran down the stairs and out the front door. Of course his porch was crowded. I walked down the sidewalk a bit and threw up behind a bush.

"Hey, are you okay?" Laura showed up at the worst - or maybe the best - time.

"No. I need to get the fuck out of here." I said. She suddenly had her hand on my back. With no questions asked, she started to walk me towards her car.