Twenty

Rebecca

Waking up to David's face next to me on Saturday morning brought a smile to my face. Things were different now. We had a serious talk, and he understood me, my wants, and my needs. Most guys here weren't like David. Most guys anywhere weren't like David.

He yawned, realizing I was staring at him. "Good morning, beautiful," he greeted, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear as we sat on our sides, looking at each other. "Would you like to go out for breakfast?" He asked. I felt a warming in my heart, like ice was melting away, slowly.

"Yes," I agreed, forcing myself to stand up from the bed. I walked to my closet and grabbed a pair of jeans and a light gray t-shirt, bringing them to my bathroom and putting them on. Poor David would be in his old clothes, but at least I had cologne and male deodorant from when my mom had men stay over previously - something that I hope recently changed. I brought them to him, and when I entered the room, he had his shirt off. I bit my lip as I looked at him, a shiver sent down my spine. He slept without a shirt on, but he was under the blankets in the dark, so I didn't see him like that until now. I liked what I saw. I tossed the male hygiene products on the bed in front of him and walked out, pressing my back to the door as I waited. I fanned myself.

"Sweetie, is that you?" My mom called from the kitchen.

"Yeah, but I'm leaving," I called out in response.

"Ready?" David said, opening the door and causing me to lose my balance. He caught me, and I giggled in a shy manner that wasn't like me.

I nodded my head and started to walk downstairs. I found my mom in the kitchen making eggs, a sight I never expected to stumble upon.

"David made sure I got home safe after I, uh, went to a party, and now we're going to get breakfast." I told her rather than asking. She'd never make a scene in front of someone; she'd be a hypocrite. She gave me the "we'll talk later" face, and I walked out the door with David.

"Fuck, my car," he said, looking around, "I totally forgot we left it there." I laughed. I walked inside and told my mom the story, hoping she'd give us a ride to Brent's house. She glared at me with a disappointed face, but eventually took us into the car.

Thirty minutes after leaving the house, we were finally at the best breakfast spot in our small downtown. Owned by actual locals, they made the best food you could ever taste. We got seated by a server named Angela, and she handed us menus. I knew what I wanted because I ordered it every time: pancakes and sausage. I closed my menu and looked up at David.

"So is this considered our first official date?" I asked.

He took a moment to think to himself before looking back at me with a small smile across his lips. "I guess so. I'll gladly take it."

"What can I get ya'll?" Angela asked, looking at me first. "Pancakes and sausage meal with orange juice," I ordered, looking towards David as she did.

"Scrambled eggs, sausage, and white toast, please." He ordered, grabbing my menu and handing it to her along with is.

"So," he started to say, taking a deep breath before continuing, "I want you to know that I will move at whatever pace you need. Just tell me each time you're ready to take things to another level. I'll wait for you, you're worth it," he said unexpectedly, causing my heart to skip a beat.

"I appreciate that," was all my dumbass could come up with.

"And if anyone talks shit about you in front of me again, I'm going to stand up for you," he reassured. I hoped he meant it. My ways clearly weren't working.