Twenty-Four

Laura

Waking up, I felt like I had just taken a long ambien slumber. Instead of being greeted by my purple walls, there were white walls in their place. There was an IV in me, connected to a machine above my head. My eyes stopped when I saw my mom, looking at me like she saw me for the first time in months.

"What's going on?" I questioned, my voice hoarse. I never heard myself sound like this.

"Honey," my mom said, caressing my cheek with a wide grin taking over her face. "You don't know where you are?" Her grin turned into a frown. What I said must've disappointed her in some way that I couldn't imagine right now.

"A hospital?" I said, half questioning. It was obvious by the machinery, walls, and bed. I heard the sound of the heart monitors before. 

It hit me at once in a flashback; I had taken a bunch of pills after finding that video on Brent's computer. I couldn't handle being confronted with the truth. Just thinking about that video made me want to throw up. I started to gag, and my mom gave me a bucket. I shook my head, "I'm okay."

"We have a lot of work to do, but I just hope you're okay," my mom comforted me. For months, since I started dealing with this, I felt like she didn't care about me enough. I was clearly struggling and she never asked about me. I no longer doubted her as she sat here with me, waiting for me to wake up.

"Can you please call Kate over? I really miss her." I begged, Kate being the only other person that I wanted to see right now.

"Absolutely. Your father is getting a coffee right now, but I promise he's been by your side for just as long," she reassured me, and I smiled. My dad and I had a rough relationship, if it wasn't obvious enough that I had "daddy issues" as they'd say.

I watched as she walked away to call my best friend in. I realized I didn't even know what time it was, but I saw a light peering in, therefore it must have been during the day.

"What day is it?" I asked my mom when she returned.

"It's Thursday."

I sat up in the bed. "Like, tomorrow is the homecoming football game?" I questioned. I knew there was no way they'd allow me out of the house to go to an event, whether it was school sanctioned or not. She'd want me to rest for a few days before even allowing me to go back to school. I could tell by the look on her face when I asked that question.

Dad walked in the room and dropped his coffee when he saw me sitting up. He ran towards me and threw me into an immediate hug, and I could hear the crying in my ears. I never knew my dad to be the caring, loving figure like this. It made me feel a glimpse of happiness, and even if just for a moment, it was nice.

"Oh my GOSH!" Kate screamed as she walked into the room, her hands covering her mouth. "You're alive! Do you remember me?" She questioned, walking over to me. I laughed, grabbing her hand.

"Of course," I said. I heard another voice enter the room, calling Kate's name.

"You left me, Kate," Rebecca said, walking up the Kate and hitting her on the arm.

I was confused to see Rebecca and Kate in the same room and not hitting each other. I must've been out for a while. Well, I knew by my timeline that I had spent days in here, and didn't remember it.

"Can we have a minute, mom and dad?" I asked them, feeling like a jerk for it. I just woke up so I know they wanted to be with me, but they nodded and walked out of the room.

"I know, it's strange," Kate offered up, taking the seat my mom had before.

"It's like waking up in a new world," I pointed out.