Six

August 9th, 2019. David.

While most parents tried to keep their kids from going to parties, drinking alcohol, and smoking weed, mine were different. Leah had been talking about Jake's party for weeks now. It made sense; she was their friend. A party of their group. My parents had been questioning if I was going. I laughed each time they asked. I couldn't stand most of the people that she hung out with, and I hated alcohol and drugs.

"Fine, but if you're going to be lame, at least drop me off and pick me up." We settled on. Our parents encouraged us to drink, just safely. I was okay with dropping her off, going to Scott's, and then picking her up. We could almost throw a party here, I'm sure my parents would supply alcohol, but we didn't have a fancy pool, outdoor bar, or a nice house. We had a mediocre house with an above ground pool. They'd walk in and laugh.

I dreaded even driving there. He lived on the outside of town, completely across from us. Thankfully, Scott was halfway between the both. Tonight, he talked about playing board games instead of video games. It was different. We usually got together for Call of Duty matches. Maybe it was because we finally had enough people to play something besides split screen video games.

The time I wasn't excited for came. Time to go with my sister across town. She drove us to the party. Pulling up was like feeling you'd just shown up to a celebrity mansion. The pool was extravagant, the house was large, and only the most attractive people in the school were in attendance; they made sure of that.

She drove around the half-circle driveway and stopped at the front door. There was a god damn valet for a teenager's party. I waved him off, as we weren't parking. There's no way I'd stay here. They probably wouldn't even let me in the door. Maybe for being Leah's brother, but not for being David. I had classes with Jake since kindergarten and I still don't think he knew my name. I was content with that, though. I've only heard nightmares about the guys, especially Brent, whom Leah dated before.

We both stood out of the car. She tossed me the keys and I walked over to the front door. She started to walk past me. "Be safe and call me if you need me."

"Yes, dad," she teased, waving at me before walking off towards the front door.

It was a joke but somewhat serious. I was always too mature for my age, too dad like, they'd say. I took care of everyone else. I'd say it was in my blood, but that blood wouldn't have gone to Leah then. She often only cared for herself, and she made it known.

I watched her for a minute to make sure she made it inside safe. I don't know what could have possibly happened in the few feet from the door, but I wanted to stay. If anything happened to her when I was right there, my parents would disown me. She was joined by the famous Laura, another member of Brent's ex-girlfriends club. I never understood their friendship.

Scott's house was a different kind of party. When I parked my car on the side of his house, next to the other three cars, I walked a few feet to the front door of his one story house, and knocked on the door. His parents greeted me and welcomed me in, even offered me snacks. I smiled at them but walked myself down to Scott's basement. It was pretty awesome that his parents gave him the entire basement to himself. They didn't bother us, either. Probably because they knew we weren't exciting.

"Finally. I was beginning to think you bailed for that douche's party. Wouldn't blame you though," Scott greeted, grabbing my arm and bringing me into the quick 'bro' hug with small pat on the back.

"Good news though. My parents agreed to some beer. Go ahead, grab one." He pointed to a cooler.

"Nah man, I have to pick up my sister later." I rejected.