Chapter Thirteen

That evening, Lady Isobel was drilling Ana with the proper etiquette and conduct of a vampire princess. For instance, she was informed by Lady Isobel that she did not talk like a princess should. Apparently, Ana talked as if she was someone who was selling fish in the market—her voice was so loud as if to draw customers' attention, and she behaved as if she was ready to pick a fight with anyone who dared to steal her potential customers. Not that there was anything wrong with selling fish in the market—it was an honest job. But that was how she had interpreted it when Lady Isobel said she lacked the 'social graces befitting her station.'

She was then taught how to make a curtsy if she was in the presence of someone who had a higher ranking than her—the elf king and queen for instance. She was also forced to walk with a book on her head so she could practice the art of walking regally. Then she was asked to recite the rankings of peers in descending order of hierarchy. Tomorrow she would be learning the importance of being vigilant as to whom she could seat next with during a dinner party. In short, Lady Isobel was teaching her how to be utterly useless. Anastasia was already bored to death. And it was still ten in the evening! Still, many more hours to go.

Ana had thought that a vampire's role in society was to stalk the night, grab unsuspecting idiot who wander the darkened street so helplessly alone, take a sip of blood and disappear into the shadows. Apparently, there was more to it than that. More dull stuff, like her duty as a vampire princess to marry for the sake of peace and unity within the realm.

When Lady Isobel was about to teach her about the proper way to address royalty, the door suddenly slammed open, and Ivan strode inside the room.

Ivan planted his feet a slight wide apart and growled in a deep voice, "Out. Now."

"I will most certainly not!" Lady Isobel said, looking aghast for interrupting them in the middle of a very important lesson. "We are still not fin—"

Ivan merely gave her a menacing look, clearly disliking being disobeyed.

"Very well," Lady Isobel finally said. She turned to address a very confused Ana. "I think it is best we will leave some lessons for tomorrow. I will be returning tomorrow evening. Good eve, Princess Anastasia."

Ana gave her a nod before Lady Isobel vanished and teleported back to Sanggre.

Ivan directed his glare at the two frightened lady's maids. "You two, help your princess to get ready for bed."

Ivan was about to leave the room when Ana was able to overcome her state of shock and called out the prince's name. "Ivan, what was that all about?"

"Haven't they taught you yet how to properly address a prince?"

"I'm not sure. I think they did, but I must have dozed off."

"Go to bed early."

"Why would I listen to you?"

"I thought you said you wanted to see what's outside? See the sun?"

"Well, yes I did say that. But what does that—Oh!" Ana suddenly grinned, understanding dawning on her. "Are you saying that you will allow me to go out tomorrow?"

"I will bring you to the Eyther Myettln tomorrow. Go to bed. You need to be up early. I despise tardiness." He left a very happy Ana bouncing up and down with unabashed glee.

"Did you hear that, girls?" Ana asked, addressing Erien and Lucya. "I get to go out tomorrow on a field trip!"

"Oh, Princess Ana. I am so happy for you!" Erien said with a giggle. "Prince Ivan is taking you to the Eyther Myettln!"

"Eydermie—what?" she asked. She threw a questioning look at Lucya, who only gave her a shrug.

"Eyther Myettln," Erien repeated. "It means Forest of Emerald Magic. It's a very special place for us elves. And the prince is taking you there!"