Chapter Twenty Nine

• Dedicated to Sir Leo Rojas --our teacher, our mentor, our friend

They were back at the castle where Aberlin the wizard was waiting for them with Queen Talya at his side. With a mere flicked of his wrist, Aberlin was able to remove the ropes that bound Ana's hands and feet.

Ivan settled her down on her feet, a protective arm still curved around her waist.

Ana explained to her mother what had happened. She told her all the details her father had revealed and how he met his doom. The identities of those benefactors the late king were referring remained unknown. Who could be powerful enough to make the vampire king work for them?

Seeing that Ivan was alive, Aberlin said he would be going back to the council and inform them of the news so the elves would put a stop to their attempt to seize Sanggre's capital city.

Lady Isobel's decaying body was found several days later inside the same cave where Ana was previously held captive.

The news of the vampire king's death spread all throughout the land. The people of Sanggre grieved over the death of their king, but it was only for a short time for they never really loved the king as much as they loved Queen Talya. Kristoff was soon to be crowned king of Sanggre, and the people were a bit apprehensive to have a new king who never really cared about the kingdom and becoming its king. But with Queen Talya's words of subtle persuasion, the people were starting to see Kristoff in a different light.

"Mother made me look like a sissy," Kristoff had grumbled one night when he visited his sister in Eldar. "Since when did I start building an orphanage and scouting orphaned vamplings? It was your orphanage, not mine."

Ana giggled. "It was your money I used to fund the construction of the orphanage. That makes you part owner. And besides, mom just wants to re-invent your image."

"I'm perfectly happy with my macho image, thank you very much." He let out a heavy sigh. "I better go. I can hear your husband approaching." He teleported back to Sanggre only a few seconds before Ivan entered the drawing room.

"Did I just hear Kristoff whining again?"

Ana gave her husband a disapproving look. "Kristoff is just having a hard time adjusting to his new status. He isn't like you who have great interpersonal skills and magnificent managerial capabilities to run a kingdom."

"Yes, you are right of course as always. I am far more suited to be king someday than Kristoff will ever be." He approached Ana, stood behind her and slid his arms around her waist. "With you by my side as my queen someday, our kingdom will flourish with greatness."

"Maybe you could teach Kristoff a thing or two about managing a kingdom?" she teased.

"I suppose I could do that, since my beautiful wife made the request. Even though your brother will be crowned as king soon, I'll always be far more superlative than he will ever be."

"Don't bet on it, elf," Kristoff retorted, who had teleported back in the room, looking disheveled and distressed. He walked towards the settee and snatched a bottle that was left on the cushion. "I forgot my wine. Carry on, you two. Please continue your boring display of love and affection."

Ana chuckled once Kristoff teleported out of the room and left them alone once more. "I see who your wine burglar is."

They both remained silent for a brief moment, just standing near the window, staring at the beautiful tranquil night.

Ana decided to break the silence. "You still haven't explained to me why you said you wanted to get rid of me." She was afraid to know the answer. And perhaps that was the reason why she never demanded an explanation right after he saved her inside the cave several weeks ago. But she now braved herself to ask him of the question that was haunting her up until now.

"I was telling Alston how I wanted you off the realm when you first came here. I told him I was appalled with having you for a wife that time and so I offered to escort you at a nearby portal to your world. Then when news of Adamar's death reached us, I had decided to marry you to have my vengeance. But then, I fell in love with you all of a sudden and all thoughts of vengeance vanished."

"Oh." That is what happened to those who always jump into conclusions, she thought. "Do you still feel the same way? Do you still want to get rid of me?"

"Woman, I would give anything to have you by my side forever."

Ana smiled to herself. To hear Ivan say those words to her brought warmth in her heart. But she had to know something else. "But you became cold towards me when I finished my transition. You were disgusted when I was drinking blood."

"I was worried."

Ana turned her head and gazed up at her husband's face with a questioning brow. "Worried?"

"Yes," Ivan answered. "I was worried on how to support my wife."

"You're a prince, Ivan. I think you have enough gold to support me. If not, we can always pawn those golden spoon and fork and the silverware in the cupboard."

Ivan made a throaty chuckle. "I meant I was worried on how to support the changes brought about by your completed transition. How will I feed you? Where will I get the blood? How will I be able to support my wife's new diet? That was what I was worrying about. Forgive me if I seemed cold and aloof that time. This old elf has difficulties expressing his emotions properly."

"You're forgiven, as long as you will not do it again. And besides, Kristoff already told me where I could purchase my liquid diet." She twisted around to fully face him. "I know I'm not really fit to be a princess, more importantly, your wife. I have lots of insecurities about myself, and I am not perfect. And I know how hard it is for you to accept a vampire for a wife. However, I will try my very best to be your perfect match."

Ivan's features soften as he brought his hands on her cheeks. "There is no need to do that, love, for you are already my perfect match, vampire or not. Your imperfections are what I find most endearing. I loved everything about you, including those imperfections you say. I love your sassy mouth. I love the way your small frame fit in my arms whenever I draw you near my chest. I even love how your breasts fit my hands."

She gave him a playful punch on the chest and a reproving look for teasing her about her small breasts.

Ivan laughed at her response before he continued. "I love the way you eat your food with your fingers. I love the way you treat everyone, may it be a lady of the court or a servant, as your friend. I love the way you talk and walk. I love the way you laugh and smile. I love you."

A wide smile spread across her face. Her heart felt as if it wanted to burst and explode with too much happiness. She tipped on her toes and gave Ivan a chaste kiss on his lips.

"If you want to return the affection, love, then you have to give me a better kiss than that." Ana laughed at what Ivan said before she hungrily kissed him with intense passion and love. She loved this elf, of that she was very certain. She could always tell him she loved him, but it was better to show it to him through her kisses.

She was the first to break the torrid kiss they shared. "Ivan. I'm hungry."

"The barrel of blood Kristoff provided is already empty. But if you will take me as a poor substitute, then I offer you my blood to sate your hunger."

"My ever supportive, husband." She smiled at him seductively and said, "I know a way for both of us to enjoy my feeding."

The corner of Ivan's lips tilted to one side. "How?"

"Let's go to our room and I'll show you."

--END--

A/N: Please proceed to the next page :)