000 | Broken World

Qi Sying can't remember anything.

He knows he had never been in an accident before, nor experienced anything fatal enough to activate the so-called 「SYSTEM」 that was given to him by a person who was clad in white clothes.

His mind is blank. No events pertaining to his former self remained in his mind. Though, he is most clear to his body's disposition. He is human and the place he was in not a place where humans should exist. A voice is telling him from the deepest part of his soul, saying, 'You should not be here'.

He did not belong here.

However, there are still a few things that Qi Sying can remember. He knows his name by chance, that he is already twenty years old, and his appearance is very average. His image is something one would forget after three seconds of meeting.

These were the facts that were usually embedded deep in the mind that not even the external force can erase from the memories. It is more permanent than the names of his friends and faces of his parents.

「Host, please take good care of the kaleidoscope. It is your only ticket to get out of this place.」

An electronic voice resounded inside his head. Qi Sying was no longer surprised by the sudden intrusion of the foreign mechanism that owned a unique frosty voice. It was called 「SYSTEM」,a heaven-defying device that could help him finish tasks by jumping into worlds.

Taking the words the system said, Qi Sying raised the object in his hand. Qi Sying was in a white room with six corners. Everything inside this room was so white that no shadow could touch the bleakness.

His clothes were also the same color, matching his already pale complexion. Maybe the only thing that made him visible was his dark black hair and two black irises. The next one that has a color was the kaleidoscope on his hands.

The kaleidoscope has the shape of a cylinder with the outer covering made up of brass. It resembled a telescope, though the only difference is that the length can't be extended and the top part has a rotating mechanism that allows whatever was inside to move.

Qi Sying traced the brass cover, praising the complex, intricate carvings. He did not have any memories but he was sure such design will be praised by many people. He raised the object up above his right eye and peered over the little eye on the other end. The white room seemed to possess a light source since it was able to illuminate the top part of the kaleidoscope which reflected the colorful mechanism inside.

Though it still carried the myriad of geometric shapes, Qi Sying could see a few parts missing, rendering the object broken. That person, that man with an obscure face in white clothes, gave him a mission and that was to fix this kaleidoscope.

As the system says, it is his only ticket to get out of this white place.

"System, how is it done?" Qi Sying asked. "Will I be transported somewhere? Uh, in different worlds then look for the missing shards?"

The system in his mind made a short whirring sound. A cold voice replied.

「Yes, the host will travel to different worlds. Your soul will occupy the body of a certain character. The idea of your travel will be based on the character owning the highest regret points on that world.」

"Regret points?" Qi Sying muttered. "What is that?"

「Regret points was the amount of regret a person has. It is the same with merit points, revenge points, and many more - it is a mechanism used in every world to keep the dimension running.」

"That's interesting," Qi Sying subconsciously scratched the kaleidoscope. "I guess I will be working on these regret points?"

「Host is correct. The world needs a lot of energy to continue running. It is supplied by these energies. But there are instances where a certain energy source exceeds the requirement disturbing the balance. Most of the time, these sudden shifts of energy causes the world's destruction.」