ONE

"Where the fuck am I?" I sat bolt upright, straining against the mess of wires sticking out of me and into the surrounding machines, my head pounding from the sudden movement. The sharp pain seemed somewhat familiar.

"Ah, nice of you to join us..." The man looked at me over his glasses, clipboard in hand.

"What happened?" The last few days were foggy in my mind, as if my memories weren't my own. It was like... it was like they were there, but they didn't feel like mine. I felt like a ghost looking into them. A name. I had a name. There were faces, brief faces, people who seemed important to me. I recognised them and yet... for some reason, I was unable to put two and two together. These people in my mind, I knew them. But who were they?

"Miss, you've had an organ transplant and two other slightly more minor surgeries. You've been in a medically induced coma for the past seven years. Do you remember what happened?"

"I—" I didn't. What had happened, why did this happen, and that still didn't answer my original question: WHERE THE FUCK AM I? By the looks of things, it appeared to be a hospital, but then again, appearances can be deceiving. I pulled up my thin shirt to reveal a line of stitches across the side of my stomach, right across a burn scar in the shape of a handprint. "How did I get here?"

"You were brought in. A woman found you behind an abandoned diner with a young adult male, both of you seriously injured."

A young adult male. Who? "Where is he? The person who came in with me? Is he okay?"

"I'm sorry, I don't know. The woman who brought you both in had him discharged almost instantly after, she seemed to recognise him. He wasn't here long enough to be ID'd, and you're not on any systems. You're almost like a ghost."

I looked down at the handprint on my stomach, lifting my hand up and placing it on top. Did I do this to myself? The doctor noticed what I was doing and answered my question for me.

"The scar, it appeared to have been made while cauterising the wound. Although it stopped the bleeding, we had to open it up again to remove the bullet. God knows how someone managed to do that without burning their entire hand off."

"Hang on there, are you telling me someone fucking shot me?" If someone had shot me before, was I even safe here? I started to panic. I needed to get out of here. I tried to lift my legs but they were held in place. Instead, I tried to use my hands to move them, but it only revealed that my legs were held in place to the bed. "What the fuck? Why can't I leave?"

"You're not healthy enough—"

"Bullshit! I'm calling bullshit!"

"I would appreciate if you refrained from using any more foul language in this hospital. I will turn on the TV, put on the 'Do Not Disturb' sign, and then maybe you will have calmed down by the time I come to take the next blood test."

He turned on the TV, handed me the remote and left. As a distraction, I listed the things I knew about myself so far.

1: Someone had shot me.

2: There is someone out there who knows who I am, but he was taken and I needed to find him.

3: Clearly, I have amnesia.

4: I have been in a coma for seven fucking years.

It wasn't a long list. The screen flickered into life and the news channel was already on. Since I couldn't be bothered to change it, I let it play.

Suzume Kimura, now aged 20, the leader of the Psion Ring possibly sighted, two years after the video...

I let it play out. All I was focused on what the name. Suzume Kimura. I recognised the name, but I couldn't seem to remember... well, anything. But somehow...

I knew where I had to go.