chapter twenty-one

PLEASE KEEP COMMENTING YOUR REACTIONS TO THINGS THAT HAPPEN DURING THE CHAPTER AND JUST THE CHAPTER IN GENERAL

--------

              The sunshine felt warm on Jane's face. For once, she had felt at peace. The sun was out, she was in a good mood, and she was starting her new job in Haven: monitoring the children's ward. She entered the children's ward of Haven and was welcomed with a more exciting atmosphere than expected. The kids, aged 6 to 17, look so happy to be safe here. 

Jane observed from the side, watching all of them. Many were smiling but Jane could see past them and see the pain hiding underneath. She saw how aged some of even the youngest ones looked just by the stress and torture they'd endured in the outside. She had heard stories of what they had gone through: abuse of all kinds, child labor, torture. Jane knew what it was like and it pained her heart to see other children going through the same thing. She wished she had a Haven like this as a child. A place she could run to and be engulfed in love and positive reinforcement. 

One little girl's face caught her attention. She looked around 6 years old and had deep green eyes and light blonde hair. Her face was a little dirty and she stared blankly as her brother tried to make her eat some canned peaches. Her brother, who was clearly older, looked around 10 years old, put had the stressful face of someone much older. 

"Come on, Willa, please?" Jane heard her brother beg her softly. "You need to eat something."

Willa just continued to stare. 

It made Jane's heart ache watching. She thought back to her childhood, with her older brothers who wanted to make her cry and inflict pain onto her. If only Jerome and Jeremiah had been this gentle with her. If only they cared about her eating and being okay. Instead, Jane was given two older brothers who helped in her abuse and horrible self image. Both issues she was still trying to recover from so many years later. 

Jane decided to step in, kneeling in front of Willa and her brother. Her brother, who seemed used to protecting his sister, quickly wrapped his arms protectively around Willa and stared at Jane. He didn't glare, just stare. 

Jane held her hands up. "I won't bite, don't worry." She watched as the brother's arms untensed, however, did not move away from his sister.  Jane looked into Willa's eyes. "Why aren't you eating, Willa?"

Willa didn't reply. Her brother stepped in. "She hasn't wanted to eat anything since our parents died." He spoke solemnly. 

Jane nodded and then spoke softly. "You know, both of my parents died too. I didn't have a great big brother who looked after me like you though." Willa's eyes softened slightly. "Eat just a little, for him."

Willa continued to stare at Jane, and Jane watched as slowly more emotion was brought to Willa's eyes. Jane's sincerity and honesty clicked something inside her. It was something Willa wasn't used to since Gotham fell apart. Eventually, Willa slowly nodded and looked up at her brother. 

Jane smiled and stood so that the two siblings could have a moment alone. When she turned, she was met with two people: Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle. Selina was standing, completely fine. Jane had heard the root worked, however, it was the first time Jane saw it with her own eyes. She was still unsure how much Selina wanted her around.

Jane moved away from the two siblings to a spot more quiet and discreet. Bruce and Selina followed. "What's up? Why so serious?"

Selina didn't hesitate with her question. "Where is Jeremiah?" Her tone was very direct and serious. She even slightly glared at Jane to intimidate her, as if Jane wouldn't tell her if she knew where he was.