Chapter 2

"Wh-what?" I stutter as I try to find the coherent words while staring at the unreal scene in front of me. I gathered every ounce of my sanity left to try to calm myself down and assess my 'situation', whatever this is called.
I reached out my hand first, trying to find out if there is an invisible being in front of me right now causing this. I looked like an idiot for a while, but I proceeded to walk. I had no clear intention in mind, but I somehow, I've seemingly forgotten the tragedy that was supposed to take. I looked around me, everything was just, if not have stopped, suspended in the air. The birds flying above that I didn't noticed before. Not even the child that is halted at the apex of his jump from the trampoline, about right of me. I couldn't utter a single word, nor attempt to make a single sound. My eyes were the only sense organ that was working at this very moment. Everything, I impulsively burned down into my memory. Then I sensed something is happening. I looked at my surroundings carefully, and realized things were slowly moving again. The speed transitioned from millimeters per minute back to their normal pace. A heavy feeling started accumulating in my chest, and then I quickly ran towards mom, tackling her out of the way of the car before it returned to its normal speed.
"AHHHH MOM!" I screamed as I went to her and successfully implemented my plan.
The car crashed into the wall of an under construction building. Luckily, no person was working there at the time of the accident.
"Co-Cole! Oh, thank God!" she embraced me so tightly, that it directly pierced my soul. She hugged me for quite some time, 'till she finally could calm herself to talk. "Y-You saved me. Oh thank goodness you made it in time!" she added as she was obviously still in the state of shock.
I could sense the murmuring of the people as they start to gather up, both at the crashed site and around us. Meanwhile, I could hear two childish voices and a voice of a middle-aged woman shouting their way through the crowd.
"My God, Diane! Out of the way people! Relatives coming through" Aunt Beth exclaimed.
"MOOOOOM!" added by two little sweet voices shouting their worry and desire to check on us. I can see both Yvonne and Troy crying their souls out.
"Oh Beth!" mom called to her while she's still in a shocked state. "My little angels come here!" said mom, seeking for comfort in my siblings.
I was still on the ground, sitting besides mom. Yvonne and Troy quickly jumped on her, and the three of them cried altogether. Aunt Beth was confused on what to do first, call an ambulance for possible injuries, or go to the crashed site to make contact with the other party. As for me, I did the one thing I've never done in years. I picked up my phone from my pocket, went to my contacts and click on a cellphone number.
"Hello? Who's this?" a deep voice answer from the other side of the line.
I collected myself, planned what was I going to say, and how I'm going to, in a matter of two seconds. As I did this, I already stood up and walked away few meters from them, before finally speaking.
"Hey. I-It's me. Cole." I said hesitantly while I question if I was doing the right thing.
"Cole? It that really you...son?" replied by the deep voice, while the inflections hinted he was shaken up.
I looked back to mom's direction to see if they noticed me, but when I noted that they do not I spoke on the phone.
"Hey dad," I could not stop myself from the short pause that occurred. "I just called to...you know...see how you are?" I said as an excuse, for I seem to be unable to speak as I intended.
"Ahh" He exclaimed "That's really great to know."He replied, seemingly implying that he lighten a burden on his chest "I'm fine, by the way. How but you guys, huh? How are those two little angels doing?" he said in a manner full of joy.
"We're...fine...Yvonne and Troy are as usual, going on with their businesses. We're doing—" I unwillingly gulped, before continuing "great. They can't say hi 'cause I'm still not home yet, I with a friend hanging out and stuff, y'know. Oops, got to go dad, my friend's calling me."  I was reaching my limit at this pretending game I got myself into.
"Oh, ok then. Seems saddening you have to go so soon, but, be careful son. Make sure to they Yvonne and Troy I love them, and you. Protect them always champ. You're the man of the family now. A'ight, go have fun."  And he ended the call there.
His advice at the end spoke to me at a spiritual level. With the events that transpired just less than an hour ago, his words seemed to haunt me. Regret was all that in my mind after calling my father, mainly because the feeling of hearing his voice again and his seemingly ironic advice mixed, triggering a melodrama in my soul.