Chapter 6

Chapter 6
The façade of fate, every person sees
Grand, divine, serendipitous, indisputable
Create vagabonds, ignite hearts
Start endless journeys, with no assurance.
Entice men and women to pursue their finest hour;
Only for them to be shattered, pulverized in front of their holy grail.
What they expected, what they hoped and wanted
The truth destroys them,as reality awakes them.
Everyone has fallen to this artifice
Pretentious, superficial destiny.

I woke up a bit late. It was normal, but perhaps what happened last night still has its effects on me, because I could not get it out of my mind. I went out of bed, prepared for school. I went to the kitchen for breakfast, said goodbye for Mom and my siblings. It appears that aunt Beth had to leave last night while I was gone. I fetched my bike then left for school. Each pedal I make cannot take my mind away from the thought of Maeve's reaction. It was the first time I proved myself right in such an indisputable way. I finally reached school, locked my biked to the lamp post, and then sprinted to our room. I know the school has a designated area for parking bikes, but I realized I'm a few ticks away from being late.
    I sprinted not so hastily, to not alarm any hall monitors or school personnel, and reached the door of our room. I opened it, and alas! My teacheris still not there. I entered and sat down on my chair. Maeve and I were not classmates, and the only time I can see her is either lunch or dismissal. With my anticipation just around the corner, I somehow managed to endure math, computer, and social science class. It was finally lunch. I went to the school canteen and waited for her. After settling down and getting my grub, I saw her enter the room. She was not with anyone, which is unusual because she would have at least a friend or two with her. The odder thing though, was she was smiling uncontrollably. Enthralled, I called her out.
"Maeve!" I called her while waving a little. "Over here." I added in a moderate voice to not attract attention.
She noticed me, and then started to walk towards me. She withdrew her smile, though there were still traces of her smirk.
"Hey, why'd you call me up like a little kid?" she replied. "Are you intentionally embarrassing me or what? She added.
"What? No!" I exclaimed. "Hey come on, sit down." I told her.
She sat down in front of me and spoke "What's with you? Normally I'm the one doing the approach." she wondered.
"Just wanted to ask, what do you think about last night?" I asked, curious about her thoughts.
"'Bout what?" she inquired.
"Y'know, when you suddenly went photographer-mode with what you saw" I replied.
"Well, if you're pertaining to the glass stopping mid-air, I didn't believe it actually happened until you confirmed it did just now." she answered.
"You didn't even look at your camera?" I asked out of perplexity.
"I couldn't. From when I woke up earlier I wanted to, but a part of me refused to believe the surreality." she replied.
    I was stunned at her reply. I did not expect that it would be that pungent to her.
"Well if you want to, we could meet up after school and go...there, and see what is really happening?" I offered her, as I could notice in her face her fascination prevailing over her doubt.
She took a deep breath, and then stared down for a few seconds, with her fingers fidgeting. After that she looked at me, with her fingers stable, and said "After class it is."
    Subsequent to our little deal, she got up from her seat, to go get some food. Her friends called her not long after. They sat in a separate table, while I finished my meal and just returned to our classroom. There were still 3 classes to go, but fortunately I have a firm reason to endure.
"Just a little bit moreeee" I whispered to myself, as I can't contain my eagerness to go already. I somehow felt my days were finally getting real. That I finally saw an escape in my boring, cliché, life.
    And after triumphantly lasting through the day, the bell finally rang. I went to my locker and received a text from Maeve, telling me to meet her behind the school. So I did, after fixing my things. I rushed to the back, and saw her sitting there, staring idly on her camera. I sneaked up on her to see what she was looking at. It was the glass suspended in mid-air. After a while, she noticed me and turn her head to face me.
"So, you ready to go there?" she asked.
"Of course...It's been a year or so since we last went there after all. Time for a visit" I replied as I pull out a piece of paper from my pocket. "It's go time" I added with a smirk.