Chapter 5

I have said it; despite me doubting whether she will believe me or not, I still manage to say the words. Of course, I knew she will be baffled and dazed. I was right.
She frowned and said:
"Wh-what?" Her face in disbelief was ubiquitous. "All that build up for...a gag? Seriously? I wasn't expecting that from you" she said as she lied down, facing the opposite direction.
I expected such reaction. It was completely reasonable, and she might even think that this is all because of the previous halted accident is still not sinking in to me, yet, there was this feeling of immense disappointment. A complete letdown, due to the fact that my closest friend not even showing any signs of effort to believe me. Still, I attempted to explain so as to prove that the incident was not a hoax.
"Just listen to me" I pleaded "I know all of this sounds crazy, but it really happened! You know me, I don't waste time on nonsensical trivialities." I responded quite aggressively.
Maeve was obviously startled. I realized I have raised my voice a little, but even if so, it was the first time I did it amidst expressing my emotions. She turned her body upright, with her back flat on her bed. She looked at me with those eyes filled with a mixture of skepticism and provocation. My eyes started to widen, and I dragged the chair I was sitting on a few inches backward.
"You did not—"I cut her off before she could finish whatever she was going to say.
"I'm sorry. I-I was just caught up in my—I didn't mean to—but it was really true I swear!" I stutter as I struggle to decide what to do first. Whether to apologize and explain, or to prove that I am not guilty of lying.
Maeve, with the same look still glued to her eyes, rose up from lying down, and sat cross-legged on her bed with a pillow on top of her legs.
"A'ight" she said while wiping her hands on her face, to collect herself and to communicate with me peacefully. Hopefully this is what it is. She breathed in and out deeply, then said "Cole, I know you were just about to experienced a tragedy, and luckily it didn't happen. Look. You still might be in a state of shock." She said as she tries to convince herself more than trying to convince me. "You might have been shambolically perceiving the past events. We should just chill out for a while. Here, have you seen the latest movie? I have a copy on my com" she said comfortingly and calmingly, and then proceeded to her computer, avoiding to perceive what I had just told her. It was a much unexpected reply, yet a favorable one. I gave away a sigh because of Maeve's calm reaction. Normally it would be Armageddon. Still, I could not be settled with the fact that she did not believe me.
I rose up from my seat and joined her in the bed. After she prepared the movie, she turned the lights off, fetched the snacks I carried, and then sat beside me. The movie went on with Maeve being enthusiastic about it. She gave away reaction of all kinds, but my mind cannot still get over with the disappointment I felt. I was carrying the feeling throughout the movie. After the ending, she stood up and turned on the lights.
"So, you like it?" she asked just after turning the switch.
"Y—Yeah. T'was good. But not really my type" I replied while still being bothered by my dismay.
"Yeeah I kinda figured that out. Well if you want—" she stopped her sentence midway and went to the table to grab something. I was just staring, when she accidentally bumped the glass that was on the tray out of the table. She could not react quickly enough because she got her hands full with the monopoly game that she was supposedly going to show me. I was unfortunately not near enough to catch the falling glass, but oddly I felt a strong urge to catch it. I cluelessly reached my hand out to the falling glass, whilst knowing it was but in vain. Peculiarly, I felt my dismay transfigure into my desire to catch the glass. All of a sudden, my vision went black. I used my other hand to hold my head because it was hurting, while my hand still reaching out. I was unable to open my eyes for a few seconds, while other hand still rubbing my head. Then, I heard Maeve uttered something.
"Wh-Whaaaa—" I did not understand her clearly, but at this point I noticed I did not hear any sounds of a broken glass. Out of curiosity for both things, I removed my other hand from my head, and opened my eyes.
I gasped with what I saw, and apparently what Maeve was also witnessing. The falling glass, was held suspended midair.
"Wh-what d-did you do? I-Is this even your doing? No, of course not. But h-how?" Maeve responded to the scene before her. I looked at her expression. It was a combination of astonishment and, fascination. Her eyes was not filled with any fear of some sort. More strangely to me, I captured, beauty. It perceived the wonder of a one of kind moment of witnessing what is normally indistinguishable.
"Are you...ok?" I asked her slowly so as not to further startle her.
"O-Of course. Why wouldn't I be?" she replied whilst unable to look away.
Maeve started to move. She dropped the monopoly game on the table, opened a drawer, then grabbed her DLSR camera.
"Oi, don't move" she said to me dead in the eye before attempting to capture the scene.
I just sat there and watch her do her thing. I cannot recall the last time I saw her with such fire in her eyes. I watched her as she finds the right angle for her shot.
"There." she said when she finally decided to go with 'becoming the subject' point-of-view.
There was a binding flash and an abrupt clicking sound. I could vividly observe the delight in her eyes. She looks like a kid, who is in felicity, for she captured a searing moment. While in the middle of her eureka moment, I noticed the slight movements of the glass, so I hastily went for the glass, and catching it in the exact moment it started to fell again.
"Nice catch" Maeve remarked. Then she stood up, and sat down on the chair while still looking at the camera.
"Too bad you couldn't take any pictures." I said to her smugly.
"Meh. Its fine." she replied, then looked at her computer. "It's getting late, you might want to go now. We can talk about this some other time" she added, not letting go the issue.
"Well, I guess so. I'll be on my way then" I replied as I gather my things and fix myself. "So, see you tomorrow I guess?" I said as a substitute for goodbye.
"Of course." Maeve said while giving off the brightest smile I have seen.
I went downstairs to say goodbye to Malcolm and Minerva. After that, I went to their garage to get my bike, then went off.
I was really in high spirits. It felt like all of my shock from the canceled accident and my dismay from earlier combined, but this time as the opposite. I was cycling with an uncontrollably smug on my face then I said:
"I got this time don't I, Maeve?" I uttered celebrating my feeling of insignificant triumph.