Chapter 7

Maeve and I journeyed to our destination. Since it was a bit farto just go on foot, we decided to ride on my bike. She hopped on, and then we left. As we travel through the city, gusting winds approached us, though it calmed down gradually. We reached the sea wall, and we had the whole bike lane for ourselves. The wind at this point was a calming breeze, seemingly welcoming us.
Maeve reached her arm out in the air, to feel the wind a bit more. "This is nice." She whispered, though I could hear it because she was just leaning on me.
    Moments have passed, and we finally arrived. I stopped the bike and told her."Finally done having your sentimental moment there?" I said to check on her.
    She withdrew her hand from just being frozen there, stood up and then looked at the view.
"I can't believe it." She exclaimed"We haven't visited this place for quite some time, but for just a few people to go here despite this, captivating scenery is just..." she added despite not being able to finish her sentence. I could see her genuinely dazed because of it.
"This place is used to be a junkyard. Moreover, a few blocks from here is the town's famous beach. So why would they settle here?" I replied. "Besides, don't you like that we're the only ones here? We could go fulfill our goal here without worrying about eavesdroppers." I added.
She turned her look to me with a smirk and said "On that note, what are we standing here for?" then ran to look for something on the sand. "What does it look like again?" she asked.
"A medium sized rock with a blue x mark. It should be shallowly buried right now!" I said, raising my voice for her to hear.
    We are at the former seaside junkyard. We were about 14 or 15 years old when this place was still a junkyard. We used to sneak in back then, and build our mini hideout. When the notice that the junkyard was going to be removed came, we quickly gathered our things and decided to relocate out base. We could only do it after the remodeling of the place was done unfortunately. When we came back here about a year ago, we got our things we hid and put them together in the façade of the woods just beside the now empty seaside. To remember exactly where to go, we left a rock with a mark on it, to guide us back to that place.
    After minutes of searching, Maeve shouted.
"I found it!" She said with a flaunting tone, while waving the rock at me.
    I approached her so that we could now go to our hideout.
"Looks like your byakugan worked." I teasingly said.
"Ha-ha." She replied, while obviously displeased. "At least my 'byakugan' helps me in real life struggles, like photography." She teased back "And you? Looks like you'll need to imitate Kishimoto himself to write a legit work of art" she added.
    I was speechless. Stunned. I literally stopped on my tracks. It was the first time she ever roasted me. Of all her multitude attempts, it was a proud and irritating moment for me.
She walked a few meters away from me, and then stopped at a tall tree. She turned around and faced me with her usual smug and said "Well, any plans to do this? she said as she points around us.
We were at an open space a few steps inside the woods. Above the tree behind her is where we built our base. Though it was lousy for a tree house, we somehow manage to buildit back then. It was like our own dimension, howbeit being exaggerated.
I tossed my bag aside, then I occurred to me that we came here to do something, but not really knowing how to do it. We stared blankly for a while, then Maeve broke the silence.
"So, we're basically had our backs against the wall, huh?"Maeve uttered while displaying her dismay."A quick question, are you even the one who did...that in the first place?"Maeve asked intriguingly.
"I—I'm not really sure..."I know I gave a disappointing reply, but I'm not really sure about what was happening anymore.
"Well, we have to at least start somewhere!" she exclaimed. "How 'bout we try to do a simple reenactment shall we?" she suggested.
"Ok" I said reluctantly "What's the plan then?" I asked her while starting to get desperate.
Maeve climbed up the tree. I waited for while on the ground, whilst hearing rumbling noises and sounds of objects being thrown around.After a sudden pause of sounds, Maeve came out the tree house.
"Here's how it's gonna go down"she spoke loudly to assure I could hear her. She showed me a empty can on her hand."See this junk?"She said as she wave the empty can "I'm gonna drop this, then you try to do something"she said further.
"A'ight let's do it then"I reponded to her while pouring everything I got into figuring out how will I do it.
"One more thing, if after a few attempts we don't get anything notable, it only means you have no control in however that glass stopped mid-air, and that we need to stop hoping it'll happen again. It's all probably just a fateful coincidence" she explained thoroughly.
It was a rational choice. To decide that everything was all just by chance and will never happen again in our lives, but a somewhat bitter feeling accumulates in me. I seem to have hated the possibility that this newlyfound escape from my ordinary life would soon be diminished.
"Ready?" she restrainingly asked me.
"Moment of Truth"I said as I brace myself for what is about to happen.