Chapter 1- Sophie

Sophie's POV

"Sophie! Are you up there? You're going to be late for your first day of work!" mum screamed from downstairs. I know she's telling me the right thing but why oh why does this woman always have to scream?

"I'm coming Mum!" I shout back with slight irritation. I don't know why I do this to myself, staying up late at night watching mindless YouTube videos till 3:00am, telling myself I'll be able to wake up on time. Constantly forgiving myself each night about the night before.

I walk down the stairs to find my dads empty glass on the kitchen counter as he always heads out early for work. My mum making breakfast, making too much noise at this time of day- I love her but she can be such a busybody. My sister emerges from the living room to have her healthy shake and looking at herself one last time before heading out the door. She's older than me by 4 years but honestly, it feels like less when we argue.

The same routine each morning.

"Make sure you smile at everyone and don't make faces when you don't like something, just fake it as best as you can." Mum says this to me, even though I know how this works- I've worked in so many retail jobs, I know how to fake things.

"Yes Mum, I know, I'll be fine." I say calmly, as I scoff down some coco pops before going towards the door.

"Don't forget, I've invited the Carters over this evening!" mum says as I head out, not even thinking about what she just said.

As I walked out, I received a text from one of my closest friends Laila. I've known her since high school so when I got this photography job, she was the first person I told.

Laila: How's it going Soph? Let me know about how the job is today, good luck and remember - try not to be a bitch at first, love you!! X

Me: Thanks sooo much for your confidence in me! Will tell you when I get back 🙌🏻

I still couldn't believe I scored this job working as a photography assistant in a new and upcoming fashion magazine. It was like a dream come true after graduating from university. I thought I would just end up back in another horrible retail job, because let's face it- RETAIL JOBS ARE THE WORST. Doesn't help that I'm not a people person but, I can fake it well enough. Though smiling for too long is exhausting and laughing at co workers dry humour is just something I cannot even fake after a while.

I was on the train when the realisation of what my mum said hit me. The Carters are coming around for dinner this evening.

The Carter's have been family friends with us for as long as I can remember.

Mum has been best friends with Maria Carter since they were in college and Dad and Maria's husband William became good friends too. They had a little friendship group that 30 years later, still remains strong. Quite rare actually.

They weren't the ones that were making me feel anxious though. Not their daughter Elena (also 21 like me) and not their youngest son Kyle. It was their oldest son Ash  (25) and I can imagine, still hadn't grown up from his bad boy ways.

The last time I saw him, things were tense, we definitely almost had a moment- but nothing happened. I was extremely disappointed. I doubt he remembers though.

I hadn't seen him since he went to live with his uncle for a while after high school- I know something happened but never pressed for any details. I heard from Elena a couple of months ago that he's back now.

Elena and I weren't that close, she was a family friend but we never became best friends. She's lovely it's just, although we went to the same school we had completely different friends, which was fine. We were good friends at least. I never told her that I had a huge crush on Ash, before he ruined that by fucking every girl in school- well that was the rumour anyways. Of course the only option I had was to become a total hater and argue with him every chance I got. I wouldn't exactly call it a friendship in any way, he just protected Elena and I in school as a familial obligation. Nothing more.

I couldn't WAIT to see his face. Emphasis on the sarcasm there. The feeling of dread and anxiety was gathering inside me, I really didn't want to see him at all especially getting back from my first day of this job. Why Mum? Just why.