9

"Van, I need you," I said, exasperated. "I know you're at your party and all that and I'm probably the last person on your mind but—" I was cut short. "I'm on my way, text me where you are." Then the line went dead. I texted him the address, and stumbled round to the beer garden so I'd be easily found.

Minutes later, I saw him striding over to me, and before I knew it his arms were wrapped round me. I melted at his touch, letting everything go. I burst into tears and cried into his chest. He walked me over to a bench, and we sat down, still tangled together. "Start from the beginning," he said, so I explained everything that had happened over the last two weeks, leading up the date. "...and then, he touched me. My knee, then my thigh. I was repulsed. I had to get out of there, I was scared something was going to happen to me—" I rambled, and Van, once again, cut me short, "he what?! I'll kill the fucker." He sat me up to face him, then stared into my eyes, "promise me, that's all he did?" I nodded, tears still streaming down my face. "I promise," I whispered, "I got out of there as soon as it happened. What do I do?" I asked, unsure as to why Van would have the answers. "I'll take you home, you'll get showered and then we'll sit and we'll think about what next." He said, still staring into my eyes. We stood up in unison, and he took off his grey denim jacket that he always has on, wrapped it around my shoulders, and we walked to the front of the pub and to Van's car. "What about your party?" I asked, innocently, assuming the answer I was going to get. "Fuck it, love," he replied, wrapping his arm around my shoulder and we giggled as we drove away from the pub.

Back at mine, I was showered and in one of Van's hoodie's that I'd not returned since we broke up and some joggers. I crept into my living room and stood in the doorway, watching Van for a minute. He was stood in the kitchen brewing us both a coffee, staring out of the window as he did so. "M-hmm," I coughed, clearing my throat to make him aware of my entrance, as I walked over to the couch and plopped myself down, curling my legs underneath me. He wandered over slowly, trying not to spill any coffee, and put the mugs down on the table. At first he sat across from me, then I gestured for him to come sit with me and he moved over. I put my head on his shoulder and we just sat in silence for a while. "Thank you," I whispered. "What for?" He replied, glancing down at me. "I shut you down, and I told Larry to do one, I've been pretty much avoiding you for the last few weeks; yet you're still here when I say I need you. So, thank you." Van gently placed his lips on the top of my head and replied "don't say anything. We don't need to talk right now." I got comfy on his shoulder and closed my eyes, forgetting my coffee, forgetting the last few weeks and everything with Van. I just enjoyed the moment.

I felt myself moving, but I thought nothing of it; I didn't want to open my eyes and I knew I was safe in Van's company. Then I felt my body make contact with my mattress, and my head touch my pillow. Van drew my covers over my body, then kissed my forehead. "Sweet dreams, Em. I'm in the living room if you need me," he whispered.

I opened my eyes when he turned away, and watched Van steal a blanket and a cushion from the end of my bed. He went out into the living room, closing my door behind him. I closed my eyes, whispering "thank you" then drifted off to sleep once again.