1

2013

We drove, in silence, down the motorway back to my place. I stared out of the window, avoiding even looking at the boy next to me.

I should never have trusted him. Tall, skinny - quite ill-looking, now I think about it, beautiful eyes and floppy hair. And he sings. Musicians are awful. It was inevitable he was going to break my heart. It was just a matter of when.

That time happened to be now.

"Emily, please. Look at me," Van put his free hand on my shoulder, all the time looking at the road in front of him. I turned to him, holding in the tears that've been in my eyes since he told me he didn't want to be with me anymore.
"Why, Van? Why? Everything was going great, right?" I stared at the side of his head while he drove. Van didn't answer me, just held on to my shoulder. I turned back away, knowing I wasn't going to get a reply.

What felt like hours, but only ended up being minutes, later, we pulled up outside my house. "I love you, but i need another year alone." Van turned to me, after switching off the ignition. I looked at him, pleadingly, waiting for him to expand on what he just said. "I'm 22 years old, me and the boys are just starting up, we're hoping to have our album out in the next year; I— I'm not mature enough to be with you." At that, I undid my seatbelt, and turned to get out of the car, but Van grabbed my hand before I left. "Anything you need, any time at all, I want you to phone me." He let go.

"I'll bear that in mind, McCann," I said, and walked off, slamming his car door behind me.