Chapter 11

As soon as I get to school I feel like a million bucks. I don’t think that I would have ever gotten away with purposely throwing up my food just so I don’t feel like a fat piece of lard. As soon as I walk into homeroom Gina runs up to me and is practically on top of me.

“Hey can I talk to you for a second, like out in the hallway. Now please.” She says in kind of a nervous tone almost like it was urgent. Before I had time to respond she takes my hand and is practically dragging me out of the door.

“Um is everything OK? You look worried.” I ask

“No everything is not OK” she confesses “I think Todd got me pregnant, but I’m not sure. I haven’t taken a pregnancy test yet. Will you be in there with me when I take it? Please?” she adds.

“ Yeah sure I will be when do you want to take it?” I ask

“ At lunch, it’s the only other time I can think of to take it” she says.

As we walk back into our classroom, the bell rings 15 seconds later. We were right on time. I honestly expected Gina was going to get pregnant sooner or later, but I didn’t expect it to happen right now.

By the time lunch rolled around I had started to get nervous for Gina. If she were pregnant I would obviously feel happy for her but what about Todd? What are Gina’s parents going to think?

            I see Gina in the cafeteria with a brown paper sack. I walk up to her and greeted her like I normally did at lunch.

            “Hey Gina!” I say and she grabs my hand with a quick “lets go” under her breath, and we are both half running to the bathrooms. 

            “Ok I have four pregnancy tests in here just to play it safe. And if they all come up positive than we will go tell my parents.” She stated matter-of-factly.

            “ What do you mean we are going to tell your parents?” I ask.

            “Well I don’t want to do it alone. And my parents like you a lot so they wont completely freak out on me.” She replied.

            “ Fine just hurry up and do what you got to do. We wont have much time if we just stand here talking much longer” I answer.

            So she takes the bag into the bathroom stall and I hear her take the first test out of the box and open it. After she pees on the stick she walks out of the stall and we wait. After the three minutes was over the results on the test showed up, and Gina just stared at it.

            “What?! Are you pregnant or not?” I ask hotly. I don’t even know why I said it like that.

            “Well I’m pregnant. But lets try the other ones. This one might be faulty I still have the three left.” She says. I know that she’s scared. I can hear it in her voice.

            “Alright but if those three come up positive than we have to tell your mom. Deal?” I say

            “Ok fine, deal” she replied hesitantly.

So she takes the other three tests. All three come up positive and she looks like she is going to cry. She sits on the sink and wipes away a tear.

            “My mother is going to kill me,” she says quietly. I don’t say anything; I just look down at my shoes awkwardly. I have no idea what to say. Then I hear the bell ring our lunch hour is over.

            “Come on let’s get to class, I don’t want to be late” I say as I pick up my backpack and walk out.

            After I get home I start browsing the Internet and then I get on Facebook to see that Gina has already announced that she is pregnant. I read through the comments and most people are saying “Congrats” or  “I’m so happy for you! When are you due?!”  And then I got to Todd’s comment.  It was nasty and beyond inappropriate for the whole world to see. It said:

“How could you do this to me? Why would you tell everyone else before me? But really how do I know that it’s even mine. How many other guys have you been sleeping with youinsert name calling here.

            After I read that all of a sudden Gina is calling me. Why would she be calling me she only ever texts. I answer it thinking she might of accidently butt-dialed me.

            “Hello?” I ask.

            “Hey can I come over? Like now?” she asks. She sounds like she is crying.

            “Yeah you can come over. What’s the matter? Are you ok?” I say

            “No I’m not ok. I’ll tell you what happened when I get to your house” she replies. “I just need someone to talk to right now”

Then the phone went silent and I knew that she hung up. I set down my phone but keep it at my side in case she calls or texts me.

Ten minutes pass by and I hear a knock at my door. I run down to get it and of course its Gina.  Her makeup is running and her cheeks are tear stained. I see that her jaw is brusied and slightly swollen. 

"Gina what happened?" I ask with serious concern.

"Todd came over to my house and he said that he only wanted to talk" she said quickly," we started to argue about the baby and he hit me and I fell. He then kicked me in the stomach and spit in my face" She said 

I didn't know what to do. 

"I think I lost the baby" She added 

My jaw dropped and I was silent.