Enemies to Allies

Sarah's POV
The past three months had gone smoothly. Sasha had finally confirmed what I had suspected for some time. She had fallen in love and found the guy she had wanted to be with.

We initially had our doubts as the two had met on the internet. But once we all met him in person we all grew to love Ashton. They were married. Since he was in the airforce not long after he was posted to another city.

I missed Sasha like hell but I was happy knowing that she had found her soulmate. Mom was away at her place these days and due to my exams I had to unfortunately stay back.

Even three months later Aiden kept pressuring the police to keep an eye around my house. Even though no strange thing had taken place so far. I hadn't even received any weird mails.

Another hectic day had ended and all I wanted was to roll around in my bed like the sloth I was. But as I parked the car in our garage I felt this weird chill go up my spine.Something felt wrong.

It was then that I noticed the front door was unlocked. I looked towards the police car parked near our house. The two officers inside were busy munching on doughnuts and chatting with each other. I strode up to them terrified that someone may have broken into my house. And irritated at how nonchalant the officers looked.

" The front door's unlocked. I think someone may have broken into my house. "

At my words the officers immediately hurried out. Inside the real nightmare awaited me. An officer told me to stay back while the other took his gun out and apparently started checking the house for the intruder.

When no one was found and the house deemed safe I was let in. I literally shrieked at the sight before me.

Someone had vandalized the entire house. Sofas overturned, drawers hanging open their contents spilled out over the floor. I could vaguely register an officer saying that the intruder seemed to be looking for something.

I just sat on the floor in shock. Just when I thought my life had started to turn normal it was thrown upside down again. I felt helpless I didn't know what to do. I didn't have the heart to face my mother and sister.

All of a sudden I felt myself dialling Aiden's number. He was the last person you would expect me to seek comfort from. He wasn't even my friend. But he always kept his cool and knew what to do. And right now that's exactly what I needed.

I don't know what I exactly said to him. He did say he was going to come here though. I don't know how long I sat there staring into space not knowing what to do. Then I finally heard his voice.

He was apparently scolding the police officers for not being careful enough. Then I heard him asking for me. I stood up my knees still wobbling.

" Are you okay ?" He asked.

" I just came home and then I saw this. " I motioned towards my wrecked living room.

" Was anything stolen ?"

" I don't know I didn't check. " I ran my hands through my hair frustrated.
Aiden brought me a glass of water and I downed it in one go.

" I know you are still in shock but we need to see if anything is missing. If we want to find the culprit we need to know his motive. Whether this was a simple robbery or something more than that. " His tone was gentle instead of bossy and it managed to get me to my feet.

As expected the person was clearly after something other than money. Nothing was missing from the house. Nothing of value at least. The money we kept at home, my laptop and other valuables were all there.