Uninvited

The months had passed. The young businessman Once-ler and his business begin to grow. Money was raking in for his Thneeds.

He planned to have an elaborate party on his One Million Sale of Thneeds. His assistant, Norma, a slightly plump brunette with bright brown eyes and mass of freckles with spectacles, took notes as her boss told her who to invite to the party. Every important person would be there: celebrities to endorse his product, businessmen who wanted some profits, lawyers, etc. A few fans would be fine, but they would have to be high standard.

Next was the invitation design he wanted: it was decorated an elegant green with light green wording and a pink Truffula tree was painted on it.

Next came the decorations: everything would be in green and gold. The tables would have fake Truffula tree centerpieces along with the Thneed samples. Norma ordered everything as her boss had instructed her.

Fiora suffered for many months as the destruction of her forest caused the animals to flee further into the Moors. Scars appeared on her flesh with each chop of the axes. Yet, she did nothing. Her heart was hardened, embittered by Once-ler's betrayal that she bit back on the pain. She was still planning on how to get her revenge against the human who had stolen her heart, her wings, and her trust.

The animals were beginning to suffer and pleaded with their protector to save their home before it was gone.

It was only then that the crow, her now animal familiar, had returned after being gone for many weeks. She had sent the bird out to spy on the Once-ler. When she bonded with the bird, it showed her what it had seen. Today, it had returned with a sheet of paper.

Fiora looked at the ghastly green paper that was tied up in verdant silk ribbon that had drawings of Truffula trees. HER trees! How dare the human use her trees for this vile display of greed and selfishness. Frowning as she looked at the words, she couldn't understand it. Fiora had no idea how to read. She hadn't learned much for reading the human language. It looked like it was some kind of event going on...yet she wasn't sure.

Looking at the crow, she stroked its dark feathers and stared into its dark eyes.

"Show me what you saw," she said. "What does this mean?"

Closing her eyes, she used the Forces to see what the crow had seen. There was Once-ler. He was with a young woman with brown hair. He was speaking about a party. Something about a sale (whatever that meant). Time. Date. Who was invited.

"A party?" she said with a wicked grin. "That's a perfect time to make an appearance."

***

At the One Millionth Thneed Sale, which took place at the Once-ler's grand mansion: it had red silk and jewels and expensive wallpaper and carpeting. His ballroom was an elaborate marble, decorated with green: the streamers were silk hanging from the ceiling, tablecloths made of exquisite silk that were decorated with china plates, gold utensils that laid on neatly on napkins that were wrapped with gold rings. The chairs were mahogany with gold paint and red silk seats. The floor was an elegant marble.

Guests were dressed in their finest attire: colorful silk, satin and Truffula tuft hair pieces decorated the ladies with pink Thneeds draped around their shoulders while the gentlemen wore their finest suits and had Truffula tree boutonieres that were handed out for free. Waiters and waitresses dressed in green vests handed out elegant cocktails and hors d'oevres to the guests. Once-ler was making rounds, greeting his guests, many were interested and potential investors. His secretary, Norma, was following him around with a notepad, reading off notes of who he needed to meet. The press was there for some photos and interviews.

When Once-ler was about to make his rounds to fans and the press, the double doors of the ballroom swung violently open by a gust of powerful wind. Thunder clapped loudly and lightning flashed brightly. The chandeliers began to spin from the wind like frenzied tops, the crystals clinking. The pyramid of champagne glasses tinkled as the gale blew through. Green streamers were ripped off the wall and hung like loose ribbons; a few broke off and tumbled across the room.