Forbidden Friendship

Once-ler smirked to himself as he fondled the other gem in his pocket he had stolen from the pool. He was glad he didn't get caught for the second theft. He imagined it could feed him for a while.

While he regretted lying to the fairy since she was so kind and forgiven him for his sin upon the request that he give back what he had stolen, he still felt glee. A thousand thoughts ran through his mind of what he could do with such a gem. He planned on opening his own business. He hoped selling this would be his ticket to doing so. He had an idea of an invention that could do many things. He called it a Thneed. Yet he still needed to find the right materials.

The trees of the Moors seemed to be right. He thought about stealing some samples, but shuddered to think those trees would come to life like those orange-haired centries did. Perhaps asking Fiora would be the safer alternative.

While he was despondent to have to return to his peasant home again, he couldn't help but smile quietly to himself as he thought about his plans. First thing tomorrow morning, he'd walk to town while everyone was asleep and see a jeweler to find out the value. Once he sold it, he'd hide the money he earned from it along with all of the savings he earned from doing jobs for the neighbors.

As he got home, he watched his two stupid brothers wrestling with each other. They began to taunt him. He just ignored them, heading towards the house.

"Where were you, Oncie?" Brett asked. "Momma's pretty mad you didn't make lunch for her."

Once-ler thought about a sassy remark he could make, but stayed silent. His two brothers jumped on top of him, pinning him down and began to wrestle. Given he was so skinny, they were crushing him. He struggled beneath the gruesome twosome, barely able to breathe.

"GET OFF ME!" he yelled painfully.

That's when the jewel slipped out of his pocket. The twins stared in dumbly at the sight. Brett picked up the gem between his stubby fingers, shoving his whining twin brother away.

"Lemme see it, Brett!" Chet demanded.

"Geroff, idiot! I saw it first!"

"Give it back! It's mine!" Once-ler said quickly.

"Where'd you get this?"

Once-ler stammered, trying to find an explanation; his face flushed with a mixture of fear and shame. No one would ever believe his story about how he got it.

"Just give it back!" Once-ler replied petulant.

"Wait 'til Momma sees this!" Chet said excited.

"NO!" Once-ler yelled.

Too late! They ran inside to show her the jewel. Once-ler chased after his stupid brothers. He knew he would be in serious trouble now. His chance of building a business was gone forever!

Isabella was once a beautiful young woman. Yet the years of poverty and parenthood caused her good looks to fade. Her boys' father left her with nothing but three screaming, fighting children. She was too exhausted to care anymore after Once-ler was born. Her brother, Ubb, and his nasty fat wife, Grizelda, had moved in with her to help alleviate the stress, but they were just as lazy as they were. Once-ler became the parent and took care of his older, slow-witted brothers. He was the good son. He did most of the work and they used him whenever they felt like it. His mother had him do all the chores on their farm while she sat in the house, complaining.

The peasant woman glared when her peaceful time was disrupted by three unruly boys running through the house.

"Momma! Look!" Brett shouted.