Solitude

PRESENT DAY

Audrey sat on the bed, reading a book about legends-one of the stories that piqued her interest was the Witch of the Moors. It was a dark urban legend about a spirit who afflicted the human lands with the terrible Forces of Nature. According to the story, long ago, the witch had an intense hatred for humans that she sent a series of supernatural calamities: swarms of creatures, unnatural, destructive storms, invasive plants that tangled in people's homes, even poisoned water sources. The war went on for a long time between the Witch of the Moors and the humans-they destroyed her home as well, intensifying her hatred. Due to each others fear, they built protective barriers to keep each other out: the humans built a dome while the Moors had a solid large impenetrable wall of thorns. Neither dared to approach the homelands due to their intense fear and hatred.

Audrey was often curious about the outside world, looking at the wall that encompassed the town of Thneedville. No one was allowed to go outside the wall. No one was allowed to speak about the Outside. She dreamed of sneaking out of Thneedville, imagining finding a way.

Sighing, she knew it would never happen. The walls were high, the dome was impenetrable and all the exits were watched carefully by Mayor O'Hare's multiple security cameras that were concealed all over the place.

The bell rang as Audrey went inside to Thneedville High School, sitting with Ted in her English class. He looked frustrated. He was currently working on an article for the high school newspaper. Ted was more interested in stating facts and was cynical of the supernatural.

By the time it was lunch time, he was grunting in frustration and smacking his head, running his fingers through his hair. He cursed under his breath.

"What's wrong, Ted?" asked Audrey.

"I'm supposed to be coming up with questions for Mayor O'Hare for the field trip in a few weeks," he grumbled.

"Oh that's right!" Audrey gasped. "I completely forgot we're touring O'Hare's Air Factory."

"Don't tell me you forgot already, Audrey."

"Well, I've been distracted," she admitted. "I'm hoping to try and intern for the Thneedville Environmental Agency."

"The most top secure job in Thneedville?" Ted asked. "That's nearly impossible to get into...especially if you're a high school student."

"I know," Audrey said. "I figured I'd give it a shot."

"Don't they have rules about not talking about what goes on during your job?" said Ted. "Maybe that'd be a good article to write."

"I don't think so," said Audrey. "I remember the time in fourth grade I asked about why nobody talks about trees in science class, the teacher just evaded the question. Next thing I knew, I was getting a visit from Mayor O'Hare who warned me never to speak about trees again. Not to mention, all the books in the library that talk about biology have been removed from the shelves."

"Hm," said Ted. "Have you tried the bookstore?"

"They don't have them either."

"Maybe they have a contraband section. Ask around."

A smile curved in the redhead's face. "I might just do that."

****

The day went on as Fiora lay at Mother Tree's roots in deep sorrow. The Truffula Moors seemed like it was dying: the air grew colder, the colorful flora began to dull and dry up; even the tufts on the Truffula trees grew pale.