Chapter 3

Nearly three hours pass before I wake up, Calum on the floor now, tucked into the other side of Luke. Mikey's feet are pressed against my cheek, making me extremely glad that he sleeps with socks on. I glance down to see Mikey's arms wrapped around my legs, holding them close to his chest. Luke is laying completely straight, one arm under my head, the other under Cal's and a huge pillow under his. Calum's leg is thrown over all three of us, meaning there's no way out for me.

I laugh before attempting to push Calum's leg off of my stomach. After a few minutes of failed attempts, I scream. A very high pitched scream to get the point across. "Shut up." Michael whines, putting one of his arms over his head.

"Well, let me up or I'll pee on you all," I say, causing them to all roll away slowly, releasing me from my spot.

I stretch my arms up about my head, toes pointed. A weird squeak escaped my mouth before I finally get off the floor and make my way to the bathroom.

On my way back to the living room, I pass Cal's mum in the hallway. A quick side hug, a cheek kiss and a quiet goodnight from her and I trudge through the blankets on the floor, flopping onto the couch.

I start humming to myself, nearly falling back asleep when Luke speaks up, "Go back to sleep, idiot."

"I'm trying. Shut your mouth, jerk face." I reply, hearing him laugh a bit at my insult.

"Both of you, shut the hell up before I duct tape your mouths." Mikey says, forcefully.

"Jeez. Someone's cranky." I say, looking down at him and smiling at his irritation.

"Bet he doesn't even have duct tape." Luke laughs.

Cal picks his head up from the pile of blankets and glares at Luke. "Well I do. And I won't hesitate."

"Grumpy kittens. Calm down." Luke mumbles, his face buried in a pillow.

I roll my eyes and lay my head back, staring at the ceiling.

Soon, I hear the snores of my three best friends and I'm nearly positive they're competing to see who's the loudest. And quite frankly, Mikey's winning.

I fight to keep myself from allowing the same thoughts to ruin my night as they have so many before. The thoughts of the boy I so often dream of. It's nearly impossible to keep away all thoughts of him. But I reminisce of the times I've had with my best friends during high school.

I remember the first day I sat with them at lunch. Calum questioned my entire life, almost. Then near the end of the period, Luke told me they have a ritual that I'd have to complete if I wanted to be their friend. I should've noticed by the look on the other two's faces that he was making it up, but oh, little naïve me fell for it anyway and ate a spoonful of the nastiest lunch mix I'd ever seen. Needless to say, they accepted me and got a good laugh out of it.

That was the beginning of our friendship, and also the reason we have this little prank war between the four of us. They're normally stupid things we do to each other, but it makes us laugh, so it's perfect.

There was also the first time I'd ever stayed at Luke's house and when I was in the shower, the boys hid my clean bra. Hours later I found it in the freezer and decided to beat them all with it. The next morning my boys woke with ice in their underwear. Payback, boys.

With the thoughts and memories, I managed to keep the mystery boy out of my brain, and quickly went to sleep.

::

The steepest stairs I'd ever climbed. And I'm not sure they're even stairs. It's a pyramid maybe, in the middle of a giant desert.

I'm running as fast as my feet will go without killing myself or tripping while running. I don't chance a look back, but I can hear the footsteps getting closer. The closer I get to the top, the closer the feet get to me.