Chapter 10

Michael wasn't too happy with me ditching him at work, or maybe he was still upset about last night. Either way, he's still mad at me.

As soon as I woke up, I made myself some coffee and grabbed some crisps.

Soon after finishing my unhealthy breakfast, a loud knock came from the door.

After I open the door, Ashton looks at me with an amused look as he takes in my appearance. "Shut up, its 10 o'clock in the morning, I'm allowed to look like crap," I joke, but his eyes widen and he starts mumbling apologies and how 'that's not what he meant.' I quickly laugh it off and say, "yeah, I know. I was kidding, come in."

He nods and we make our way to my couch where I'd left my journal from last night, having written about yet another nightmare.

As I tossed it onto my table, Ashton speaks up, "I had another dream."

"So did I," I admit, "what was yours about?"

"A bulldozer and a giant cliff. I'm terrified of heights," he laughs at himself, not looking at me.

"I had the same one, but I'm actually okay when it comes to heights. But oh god, spiders and clowns are the scariest things ever." I shiver at the thought and Ashton laughs louder.

"You're kidding! I used to have a pet spider and I once told my mom I wanted to be a professional clown when I got older," he finally looks at me.

"Oh my gosh, please don't," I whine, imagining the cute boy as a clown.

"Don't worry, I grew out of that, I think," he laughs.

"Good," I sigh and laugh with him. "Do you want some coffee? I have black."

"I'm wondering if you know all of your customers orders or if I'm just special."

"Well, I do have dreams about you," I tell him, making my way to the kitchen, "but it's not that hard to remember plain black coffee."

"So I'm not special?" he pouts, following me.

"Not the slightest," I laugh, but quickly add, "I'm kidding, you're special."

"Yay!" he shouts like a child.

I quickly get his coffee and hand it to him, then make myself another cup.

"So, you live alone?" he asks, looking around.

"Yeah, but if you try to kill me I have neighbors that love me and have great hearing," I tell him, laughing but quickly getting serious when I noticed his unamused face.

"Well then I'll just have to be quiet," he whispers, stepping toward me before letting out a loud yelp of laughter, "oh gosh, I'm sorry! You looked terrified!"

"Yeah, little creepy there, Ash," I tell him, stepping back just in case.

"Ash," he repeats, "I like that."

"No one calls you that?"

"Nah, my whole family are with the 'we-named-you-this-and-that's-what-you're-gonna-be-called' thing." He explains, making air quotes as he talks.

"Well that sounds boring. I think I was Shay before I was born," I smile, leading us back into my living room. "but I don't have any siblings so I never got any other nicknames really. Well, the crazy ones my friends make up, but those don't really count."

"Shay's a nickname? I have a brother and a sister," he says, taking a gulp of his drink, "Harry and Lauren. They're great, awesome friends. I suppose they've called me Ash, but that was only when we were younger."