chapter [seven]

Josh's pov

I wanted to call. I wanted to text. I wanted to see her. I hated this and it was the first day. Who knew all this would happen? I tried to focus myself on my new what could be future with Gen but my heart longed for her.

Peter's pov

I knew I shouldn't do it, I really, really, knew. Even when I parked the car I could hear a voice in my head telling me "Don't." but I didn't listen, I never do.

I walked to her door and she answered.

"Peter?" She said shocked as she tied her robe.

"Hey, can we talk?" I said quietly.

"Yes, yes. Let me grab my sandals." She said rushing off.

"Alright Gen." I said as I took a seat on her front porch steps.

She came back quickly not leaving me much time to think this out. She shut her door and took a seat next to me on the steps.

"What's up?" She said softly.

"Gen, I need you to listen. Listen very closely." I said.

"I'm all ears Peter."

"Our history is nowhere near normal, we've been through a lot together. I'd be lying if I told you I didn't think we'd be together now but we aren't, I'm with Covey-"

"But you don't have to be Peter.." She said scooting in closer.

"Yes but I want to be." I said.

"Truly? You really do." She asked again inching towards me.

"I want you to back away Gen." I said.

She scooted away.

"No, I mean away from my life."

"Peter.."

"Gen I'm happy, you didn't want me! Remember? You didn't love me. You wanted your college boyfriend, where's he now? Gen I did nothing but love you and be loyal to you for like ever and this is how you repay me? Trying to sabotage what I have now with Lara Jean?" I said angrily.

"Peter-"

"No! Save it. I'm happy with her, happier than ever. She loves me-"

"Peter-"

"I don't have to worry about her leaving me for a better option, I don't have to worry about her cheating on me, I don't have to worry about anything. When I'm with her I'm on cloud nine Gen and... and-"

"Peter!" She fired.

"What! What Gen!?" I fired back.

"I get it, ok? I get it. I was horrible. I was shit. I get you're happy now and truthfully I wanted to sabotage it, I really did. I know how horrible that makes me but I want you Peter..."

"But you didn't want me." I said.

"Yeah, I fucked up. I now understand that, that horrible mistake I made and I'll never forgive myself but I see it. I see you with her and I know you're happy. So go, be happy. I'll stand down. I want you to be happy Peter, you deserve it." She said catching her breathe.

"Gen I.."

"Now please go." She said wiping her tears.

And I did. No hug. Nothing. I got up and walked to my car, no looking back. Everything between Gen and I was officially done.

Over with.