Chapter 07

Cont'd:

Yamina took a calming breath before peeking around the corner once again. Every contour of the dry-stacked boulders pricked her back, a reminder that she was out of her element. She took a quick survey of the line of giant White Pine she'd squirmed through a few minutes earlier before slinking over to the smaller structure across the lawn and plastering her body against the cool surface.

She'd sworn it was a solid wall until a light flickered on behind her. Ducking, she held her breath, waiting for the moment the room's occupant would spot her. However, thankfully, it never happened. She was in the clear. Still tucked below the window level, she crawled through the weeds which outlined the pave way that seemingly went around the small house. 

He, her 'Employer', had given her the details last-minute, meaning she was unable to do much investigation prior to going out. It was extremely dangerous because she couldn't trust the layouts or blueprints unless she analyzed them herself. 

Despite it being dangerous, she was ready. 

Or that was what she tried to tell herself.

She had no idea of the guards' schedules, if there were motion detectors...nothing. And even if the Employer had told her, she wouldn't have gone by what he said. Danger lurked around every corner for her, so one wrong move and it would be over for her. She was putting herself in danger for a job she didn't need.

It was usually how she felt meeting up with the Employer and it was especially how she had felt last night when she'd pulled up to the warehouse. 

Yamina had known that the warehouse was abandoned but there were always those people who thought it was a nice place to dump shit or look for scrap materials in the area and it had made sense to scope the area before going in.

She had sat and waited for around 10 minutes and when nothing had passed or no one had suddenly appeared, she made her way towards the warehouse on foot. 

'Opened door at rear, behind shrubs, 10 paces from boulder,' she'd clearly remembered the message on the burner. Since most of their meeting places were abandoned and closed off, he usually sent her directions. This was the second time they were meeting at this location, so Yamina was slightly aware of her surroundings. 

Yamina had crouched low, slipping her finger between the small blade nestled on the inside of her forearm so it wouldn't prick her skin with the awkward twist, as it usually did, before stepping through the small opening in the wall that was covered by rogue weeds and vines. 

She had stood still for a few seconds trying to let her eyes adjust to the dark.

There was an intense smell of rust and she vaguely recalled there being old machines in one corner and rusted metal, wires and galvanise piled in the other. The room she'd stood in was separated from the other by a sheet of plastic that hung from random wires dropping from the high ceiling. The plastic sheets were stock-still, not a sound could be heard as she walked right up to it. 

The Employer was just as inconspicuous and sly as her, so she hadn't been surprised to hear what she knew was an envelope being slid under the plastic sheet from the other side. 

They never saw each other. 

Ever.

"05, 05," she'd heard the low murmur.