chapter 7 |swim lessons&delightful grins

THERE WERE FEW THINGS that could make Lilly happy:

1) Books

2) Clothes

and last, but certainly not least...

3) Diana.

Boys were nowhere on this list, but as Lilly stared at her phone after the slight buzzing and "ting" of her phone, she could feel butterflies in her stomach, and a little excitement in her smile. The thought of finally being able to spend time with Colby put that extra pop in her walk, that extra skip in her step. Passing by a store, she looked at her reflection in the windows, and couldn't help but scrutinize herself. Was her bathing suit showing too much? After all, it was only a bikini, one she actually begged her mother to get her. All the other girls on the block wore suits like hers, with higher cuts on their legs and strapless tops.

And all the other girls managed to look so good in them.

Lilly quickly turned away and sped off, not wanting to waste time thinking about herself or get caught up in the web of insecurities that were so weaved so intricately into her mind. She told herself that she was gorgeous, and comparing herself to other girls wasn't worth it.

It took a good while of convincing for her to actually believe herself. But by then, she was already at the pool, the usual environment of calmness and isolation in her surroundings. Only this time, a familiar Ford Mustang was in the parking lot of the pool. A gorgeous, Ford Mustang, she thought for the millionth time. 

***

The sun was low in the sky when she opened the gates that led to the pool, and she saw who was standing in the pool, back to her. She hoped that he didn't notice that she slipped in, as she ogled his back, the muscles gleaming in the soft light of the sun heading home. She quietly cleared her throat, and when Colby turned around, it was a huge effort not to look away from his face, especially at the toned stomach.

She could already tell he did sports. Numerous, probably.

Lilly smiled, and said to him "It's nice this time of day at the pool. There's always almost no one here," as she walked over to one of the chairs and sat her stuff down. When she turned around again, Colby had moved out of the pool and sat beside her in an empty chair, and he smiled at her, before turning away to look out in the distance.

 "I used to swim competitively," he murmured, "it was a real pain in the ass to have workouts at 5 am in the morning and 8 pm at night, but the only thing that really was worth it were the beautiful views."He turned back towards her. 

Well, that explained the body.

"I never did any sports when I was younger," Lilly looked at him, "and the one thing I was the worst at was swimming, actually," she laughed. I always looked like a drowning pig in the water, and I only really learned how to stay afloat when I was almost 10." 

"I could teach you," he announced, "to swim. Like, the four strokes and all. If you're interested, I mean." As Lilly looked over at him, his eyes were hopeful and there was some color on his cheeks. He walked over to her, and she couldn't refuse his offer, not when he looked so expectant.

Lilly stood up, now less than a foot away from him, "Ok," she said," Do your worst, Colby Keagan." And as soon as she finished saying those words, a grin took over his face as he quickly scooped Lilly up into his arms. She yelped, surprise written all over her features, and before she really knew what he was doing, he ran to the side of the pool and threw her in. 

***

The cold water hit Lilly all of a sudden, as the realization that she was now in the pool, soaking wet, hit her as well. She quickly swam to the surface, and when she popped her head out, Colby was standing on the edge, laughing, his face was one of pure delight. Lilly started giggling as well, as she doggy-paddled to the edge of the pool. Even when she got out, Colby was still smirking, and before he could do anything else, she grabbed his hand and quickly yanked him into the pool with her, as he fell into the pool almost on top of her. 

When they both swam to the surface again, they were both laughing, their faces covered with their hair. The pool filled with golden light, as the sun began making its descent, and when Lilly looked at Colby again in the pool, she swore she could count the golden flecks in his eyes, and the golden strands in his hair. He looked so beautiful.

And with the sun slowly sinking behind them, they continued splashing and having fun.

***

A/N: remember when I said i would finish this book last summer....yeah lol didnt quite happen.

but also loving the summer vibes recently so hehehe