chapter 5 | numbers&slumbers

COLBY PULLED into her driveway, ready to drop Lilly off at her house.
Lilly didn't want to leave quite yet.
She turned to look at him, and she realized he was already looking at her, his eyes looking over my face. Lilly couldn't look him in the eye, but she finally forced herself to. His blue eyes seemed to have such depth in them, and a million emotions floating around. Lilly slowly looked down, before she said "Thank you." Colby quickly smiled back at her, replying with, "Tonight was so refreshing," he turned to look at her. " School's just been really tough, and you're such a breath of fresh air. All those girls that go to Kingston just don't understand enjoying life, yanno?" He turned to look at her, and Lilly nodded her head.

"I'm glad I could be of help," she said, "but, I really have to get home." Before she turned around to leave, she felt Colby's hand on her arm.

Lilly looked back at Colby quizzically, wondering why he wouldn't let her leave. She saw him holding a sheet of paper, with a pen in his hand and the cap in his mouth. He quickly finished what he was writing and reached it out for her to take. She smiled a little, before taking the piece of paper, and hearing the click of the door, Lilly opened the door and walked out. She walked towards my front door, turning around to look at him. She saw him wave a quick goodbye, before he sped off into the distance again, the rev of his engine quickly fading away. She looked at the little piece of paper, unfolding it, and looking at what was inside. And then, turned back around and walked into her home.

***

As soon as Lilly stepped into the house, she headed towards the kitchen, the smell of food enticing her stomach to grumble. She walked towards the table, seeing some leftovers and no mother in sight. She sighed, before setting the piece of paper down and sitting down and starting to eat. She looked around again, before she put her food down and slowly walked towards the stairs. "If Mama isn't downstairs, is she in her bedroom?", she wondered to herself. And soon, she found herself slowly walking up the stairs, while calling out "Mama?".

There was no reply.

And as she continued walking, her pace quickening, her heart slowly speeding up, until she finally reached her mother's door. Lilly quickly wretched it open, expecting the worst.

But, there was her mother, sleeping in her bed, her chest slowly moving up and down. Lilly's heart started beating at normal pace again, her worry disappearing.

And Lilly looked at her mother's peaceful face, her wrinkles seemed to add more every time Lilly looked at her.

And at the bottom of her stomach, Lilly felt guilt.

She felt guilt for being such a tough child for a single mother, a mother trying her best to support her only child.

And with that only thought in mind, Lilly crawled into the bed next to her Mama.

Two peaceful women, worry free.

For now.

***
a/n
sorry for such a filler chapter!!! I'm on vacation lol so I'm kind of busy but whatevvaaaaa.
hope y'all enjoyed the chapter tho!!!!