Chapter 4 - Rise of the Corruption

3k ALREADY? Wh—how is a book with only 4 chapters getting this much attention-

Once again, another STUNNING art piece by DJG3N6

We ran into a smaller forest next to the city and climbed up the trees where the wolves can't reach us. They were still swarming below us and snapping viciously at our feet, but still out of reach, although a few of them sometimes managed to climb high enough to try and bite our arms off only to have their necks sliced by Luna's lethal propellers.

I observed the terrifying scene, trying to think of a way to get us out of this particularly tight spot.

Hold on. Something wasn't right.

I mean obviously, but I'm serious.

The wolves were still staying in the wrong place, away from the Tree of Life.

All Corrupted beings would automatically go after the Tree. It's natural, which was what I had learned about the last time the Corruption had spread. But these wolves are different.

Something is definitely wrong.

"Guys, I know this might sound crazy—"

"CYAN, WE DON'T HAVE TIME FOR YOUR CRAZY PLANS!"

"I'm serious!" I yelled. "I'll have to go to the Tree alone! You guys stay here and distract the wolves!"

Before anyone else could object, I leapt off the tree and landed on the Corrupted grass below. A couple of those wolves tried to attack me, but with a couple of dashes I managed to dodge and lose them. I sped up to the direction of the Tree of Life, praying to it that nothing bad had happened while we were distracted.

The sky was visibly darker as if a storm was coming, but it wasn't as bad as when the Corruption fully took over last year. I breathed a short sigh of relief as I ran, knowing that it meant that the Tree was still safe and sound—for now. My breaths were short and ragged, and my legs were burning and screaming in protest, but I was so worried about the Tree's condition that I didn't even care. I really hope we weren't distracted from something even bigger.

I ran into the city, where the citizens of Paradise looked at me strangely as I ran. I could even hear a few confused whispers and see some shapes pointing at the rapidly darkening sky. As much as I wanted to warn them, it would take too much time and some of them might not believe me straight away. I got no time. The Tree's dazzling bright peak was straight up ahead, standing tall and bright in the city square, and I ran full speed towards it without stopping for a break.

My dark blue hoodie flapped behind me in the wind, and I've taken off my sunglasses, which hung on the collar of my shirt. My square pendant bounced merrily against my chest, waiting for me to use my powers again. Man, I wished I was wearing my usual dark blue blazer and shorts. Damn those fans.

I suddenly heard screaming behind me and I bit my lip with worry, but I couldn't afford to get more distracted by looking behind me. Oh, please let the citizens and Tree of Life be alright. Or else I might as well have failed in my role as a Guardian of Paradise.

After what felt like ages running, I finally reached the town square. I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw that the Tree was still safe and unharmed. Now what? I clenched my fists with worry as I spun around. The townspeople were probably in danger, judging from the yells and screams that were getting louder. Some of the wolves must've followed me here.

I was about to run back to where I came from when I spotted a familiar hooded figure running speedily and effortlessly towards me. I squinted. "Lili?" I called. "What are you doing here?"