Chapter 5 - The Cave

...What the hell...

Why was everything black...?

The darkness was so choking that I couldn't even think. Oh, and there was a throbbing pain somewhere in my head.

I rubbed my head as I slowly began to regain consciousness. "Ow..." a soft groan escaped my lips. My head hurts... everything hurts...

...Wait, where the hell am I?

The recollection of what had happened earlier instantly flooded my mind. Chased by wolves, The Tree of Life uprooted, dodging and dashing in that Void, fighting against Fresh, Fresh taking over the place, a bunch of Corrupted swarming all over me-

Shit.

My eyes immediately snapped open. My vision was a blur, and I could tell that I was lying in complete darkness. The surface I was lying on was hard, cold, and rocky - it seemed like I was sitting in a cave. I shivered as a cold breeze blew past me.

I couldn't believe it. How did I get here? Goddamnit, I seemed to be stuck there and I still had my friends to save.

But worst of all, when my eyes focused, I could make out the silhouette of a figure standing in a small distance away from me, standing still like a statue.

My heart froze. Panic shot through my veins and me, ignoring the throbbing pain in my head, tried to scramble to my feet. Seeing my sudden movements, the figure sprang to life.

"W-wait, don't panic! I'm not gonna hurt you!" the figure cried out.

I froze again. That deep voice. It's so familiar...

Oh my god, it can't be!

"...Blixer?!"

I could almost see the figure smile.

"The one and only."

A huge smile broke across my face, and before I knew it, I had flung my arms around him in a tight embrace. Blixer tensed as if he wasn't used to the gesture, before hesitantly wrapping his arms around me. I ignored this strange behaviour - I didn't care. He was alright, he was safe. That was all that mattered.

"I'm so glad to see you," I said quietly, beaming.

Blixer chuckled. "I'm glad to see you too."

I pulled away from our hug and out of my mouth burst the question that had been burning in my mind for almost two days. It was strange to see him now, one-eyed, no horns, normal teeth and gold-streaked hair, after seeing Fresh, who looked like him but with two eyes, a pair of black, devilish horns and a manic grin. "What happened?!"

Blixer bit his lip. "I-I don't know! I was only exploring that cave, then suddenly the entrance was blocked and I was kidnapped by this... this "Fresh" guy, through a hole at the end of the cave-"

"Hole? What hole?"

"There's a little pile of stones concealing the hole," he said. I furrowed my eyebrows. So I was right about suspecting that stack of rubble. "Then I was brought here."

"Did he hurt you?" I hissed.

"Well, no. No severe injuries, I mean."

"Good," I sighed.

Silence for a few seconds as I sat down on a comfy-looking shelf of rock.

Blixer looked sort of awkward, and he kept avoiding my gaze. Blixer and I got along so quickly despite me being the "hero" and him being the "ex-villain." We could talk for hours on end, and also stay silent for hours on end without feeling awkward at all. So this behaviour was... particularly strange and rather uncharacteristic.