xxii.

It's after 1 AM when Harry plummets into a chair at the table they claimed theirs and whines. Zayn's sitting on the chair next to Harry, his face illuminated by the screen of his phone.

"You done for tonight, Haz?" Zayn asks when he puts his phone away.

"Yeah, I think so. I forgot how exhausting balls are."

"It was a great night, though."

"It was," Harry agrees. He lifts his legs up to an empty chair next to him and stays silent for a while. After a few moments, he leans his head on Zayn's shoulder just like at the party a week ago. It's good, sitting there like that with dance music and the chatter of their classmates surrounding them. It's a coming-of-age movie moment only Zayn isn't the supposed love of his life that he declined his college scholarship for or whatever happens in the name of love in those movies. But Harry's genuinely happy and he doesn't give a fuck. He doesn't give a fuck where Sebastian is or what he's doing because he fucking ditched him on a night like this. Harry's sure it's just the alcohol talking but he feels like hitting Sebastian for it, giving him a taste of his own medicine. Fortunately for Sebastian, Harry doesn't believe in violence so instead of ranting about how shitty Sebastian was tonight or crying over it, Harry basks in the temporary happiness of this night.

"Remember how we once talked about what's going to happen to us all after college?" Harry asks. Zayn's leaning his cheek against Harry's head and Harry thinks he feels him smile.

"Of course, I do. We were in Brooklyn, eating fries at like two in the morning."

"Do you think we'll make it?" Harry asks. They both know what's Harry asking.

"I do," Zayn says so quietly Harry barely hears him.

"I held your hand that night, remember?"

"I remember."

Harry takes a shuddering breath. "I kissed you too."

"I know. I kissed you back."

"Then you said that you hoped I got my shit together and wanted to ask you to date for real. But I didn't. And Zayn, please believe me when I say that it was the biggest mistake of my life."

"There's nothing we can do about it now."

"Maybe there is," Harry says without thinking.

"What?"

I kiss you again and we'll go upstairs. I tell you that I loved you more than anything in the world and that I feel like I could love you like that again if you just asked.

"Nothing," Harry says instead. He's drunk. This has to be the alcohol talking, just like how the stupid vodka made him kiss Zayn last week.

"Haz, you're just feeling nostalgic because of tonight. You have Sebastian now, you have to stop saying stuff like this when you're drunk."

"Okay," Harry mumbles. "But where is he? I'm not that drunk to not know that my head is currently on your shoulder and not his."

"What do you want me to say, Haz? That you should break up with him? Is that it?"

"Maybe I want you to do something."

"Harry."

Harry's phone then starts vibrating in his chest pocket. He fishes it out and sees that it's Sebastian.

"What?" Harry says after picking up.

"Baby, come upstairs, please."

Harry scoffs. "Where were you the whole night?"