His Name

Sherlock get to the crime scene feeling mildly joyful. He hadn't had a good case in a long while. The closest he's had to something as interesting and intense as a murder was a kidnapping two days ago which was he solved fairly quick once he found the right angle to look at.

    Of course, John was working today so this wasn't as good a day as it could be. He walked into the abandoned but well maintained building where the body was found.

    As soon as he walked in, he regretted feeling even that miniscule amount of joy. On the ground he saw his brother. His brother who he's always secretly cared about, now a corpse laying on the ground of an old building far below Mycroft's standards, laying in his own pool blood.

    Lestrade look at him and is about to tell him about what he already knows about the body, Mycroft's body, when Sherlock starts to talk. "He came here knowing he was going to die. You can tell by the way he's wearing his least favorite suit. He didn't want to get his good suits dirty. He came, knowing he was being led to his death.

    "He came here willing because the person threatened his family, most likely his younger brother who he always sought to protect. Of course, he must've been threatened by someone he knew or at the very least believed he and his brother would lose against, which means it's someone dangerous and powerful.

    "Knowing his brother would identify him and send the police to his home, he most likely put the name of his killer behind his family photo he keeps hidden at his home office. He's smarter yet more sentimental than his brother in his own way and would never risk dying for nothing." Sherlock turns to leave, just wanting to get high and make everything slow down.

    Before he can though, Lestrade asks, "You got all that from his body?"

    "Of course not," Sherlock says, "I got that from his name."

    "He doesn't had his ID with. What's his name so we can tell his family?"

    "Mycroft Holmes," Sherlock declares. Lestrade gasps and he immediately feels guilty.

    "Sherlock, if we- I had known, I would've never had asked you here," Lestrade tries to explain, but Sherlock hold up his hand to stop him.

    Sherlock sighs. "There's no need for that, Lestrade. He planned it this way. He purposely left his ID at home so you would call me and I could solve the case. By the way, his killer is obviously someone of high status and importance that calling the police or making him disappear wouldn't work, so I suggest getting into contact with interpol. Now, I must get going," Sherlock says, leaving.

    Lestrade let's him leave, feeling completely helpless. He can only hope John can help comfort the man he's come to see as a good friend.

    "Sir, was something wrong with Mr. Holmes?" one of the newer members of their team comes into the room and asks.

    "He's has identified the victim as Mycroft Holmes." The newbie gasps and leaves to go tell the rest of the team.

    Lestrade sits down outside of the room Sherlock's brother was murdered in. He knows he's going to be feeling awful about this for months. He knows it was an accident but how could he do this to Sherlock?

    Lestrade stands back up. He checks his phone to see a message from Sherlock. It's a name and address with the message "It was him. -SH"

    Filled with determination, Lestrade goes to get the guy to avenge his friend's brother. It's the least he can do.

614 words
This idea was by the wonderful Themasterofnotcaring