Chapter One

I walked through the red school doors, looking behind me to make sure that no one saw me exit through the door used only for emergenices. Even though the school was empty, I didn't want a creepy teacher calling to me. 

I had just come back from my cross country meet. Everyone on the team, including the teachers, had already left, but I stayed behind to clean out my locker. It was just getting too messy. 

I looked around the empty courtyard, and up and down the streets. My dad's old Subaru was nowhere to be found. I went around to the front of the school. Nothing. I pulled out my Blackberry and sent him a message.

Dad. Where r u? Cross country is finished. Waiting 4 u at the side

I just hoped now that my dad knew what that meant.

"Do you go to this school?" a voice behind me asked.

I turned around. A boy was staring back at me. He had windswept, messy, black hair, and his eyes were dark. He ran his hand through his hair and put his hands in the pockets of an old jean jacket.

"Yeah," I responded back, looking once at the school, then back at him. "Why?"

The boy shrugged. "I moved here a week or two ago."

"Cool," I said. "Are you going to this school?"

"I don't go to school. Mostly I'm just in the neighborhood."

What? "That's really lucky," I said. "I'd give anything to not go to school."

The boy smiled. His eyes lit up when he did. "My name's Johnny. What's yours?"

  "Honor," I smiled.

The boy- Johnny- was just about to say something, but a car honked it's horn behind me. I turned. It was my dad. 

"Well, Johnny," I said. "See you tomorrow?"

He grinned. "Sure."

I smiled back at him, and walked to the trunk of my car. I opened it, and stuffed my bag inside, then opened the door to the backseat of my car.

As I drove away, I turned to look behind me and saw Johnny standing there, looking at my car as it drove away from school. I turned and waved, not a big wave, more like a raise of my hand, as I looked through the window behind me. Johnny nodded his head, his hands still in his pockets.

And then he was gone.