Chapter Eleven

Johnny and I sat inside a train car, our legs dangling out of the doorway. We sped toward the other side of town, the train rattling.

After Bella got hurt, Ponyboy, Darry, and Soda had to give her stiches. She was fine, and currently was cleaning her blade at Ponyboy's house with disinfectant, saying it "smelled like Soc." Johnny and I were dumping the Socs in a ditch. After the fight ended, Dally, Steve and Two- Bit chased the Socs down and dragged them back to Ponyboy's. We bound and gagged them, then put them in the trunk of Dally's car and drove them to the train car. Hauling them inside, along with a shovel, Johnny and I went to bury them up to their heads in dirt.

"Here," Johnny said, thirty minutes into our train ride. We rolled the Socs out the train car onto the ground, not really checking to make sure they didn't fall on their heads into the nearby creek. Johnny and I jumped out, and Johnny tossed me the shovel. I took it, and started digging. After five feet I was done. Johnny tossed the Socs into the pit, and I put the shovel over my shoulder, sprinkling a light dust of dirt on them. I sprinkled even more on my brother, and halfway buried Henry's face in brown dirt. Ignoring their muffled yells, I walked towards the nearest town with Johnny. We would hitch a ride when we got there.

The trucker who picked us up dropped us 2 blocks from Ponyboy's house. As we walked, we talked.

"I hope Bella's okay," Johnny said, fiddling with his switchblade. 

"She'll be fine," I said. "She once did somersaults down her front steps when she was six. Those are twenty concrete steps she rolled down. Didn't get one scratch. Tripped, fell, rolled."

Johnny grinned, then pointed to Ponyboy's house a block and a half away. "Race you?"

We took off and ran. Johnny nearly ran, but I beat him, cutting him off as he reached the stairs. 

"Cheater," Johnny said, laughing. "I call a redo!"

I laughed and opened the screen door to Ponyboy's.