Chapter Nine

After I had finished dinner, we all hung out for a while, and then piled into Ponyboy's living room to watch TV. My phone buzzed, but I didn't answer it. I sat with Johnny and the rest of the group, while Ponyboy said he wanted to show Bella something. They walked out the screen door, while the rest of us continued watching TV. 

After a while, Bella and Ponyboy came back. Ponyboy laughed as he ran in, grabbing Bella's wrist. She was laughing too, and they both collapsed at the kitchen table, laughing. I laughed too. "Where did you guys GO, anyway?" I asked, joining them. Johnny was laughing too. Sodapop tried to slide on the table and promptly fell off. The rest of the boys tackled him. 

"I showed Bella the train and the drive in movie theater," Ponyboy said, still laughing. "We watched a movie and then rode inside a train car around the city. Then we raced home. Bella beat me. I had to grab her wrist to stop her from slamming into the screen." He pointed to the door. 

"Well," I said. "I bet I can beat both of you guys."

"Want to bet?" Ponyboy asked. 

"Of course I do."

"Johnny, Two-Bit, you guys, you in?" Ponyboy asked the rest of the group. 

Soda shrugged. "I'm in."

"Sure," Dally said. 

"I'm in," Steve said. 

"Why not?" Two Bit asked. 

"Be back in twenty minutes," Darry warned.

And together we all sprinted down the street, laughing, while Darry cheered us on.

It was hard to say who won that day.