Chapter Fifteen

Bella was gone, and all she had was her switchblade.

All of us sat in the living room, and none of us could think. Johnny was sitting awkwardly next to me, and Ponyboy was standing by the door, pacing. Two- Bit wasn't even trying to lighten the mood, and Dally was smoking a cigarette, looking laid back, which caused everyone to glance at him uneasily, especially Darry, who seemed shaken about every death and disappearance that happened. It had only been a few weeks we were gone from home, and to the rest of the greasers that didn't seem like a lot, but to Darry it was. Darry seemed to be the only one who thought about parents and father figures- the rest of the gang seemed to live without fathers. Some, like Ponyboy, Sodapop and Darry, had no parents. Some members of the gang, like Johnny, had family, but it was like having none based on how they were treated.

I felt awkward being here. The greasers had become almost family, and I trusted them with my life. I knew Bella did too. She was trusting of anyone, but aware enough to know the difference between people who were legitimately trying to help, and people who just wanted to use other people. I knew she was on the road. She would have been off the train by now, if she was headed to the church. Unfortunately, the train was gone and wouldn't come until Thursday. It was Tuesday, and I didn't think I could stand a day waiting. Henry was out there, and he could have killed Bella by now, or been in our basement for all we knew. Well- I guess it was technically the greaser's basement. And Bella's. She seemed perfectly at home here.

I didn't know if I was.

I guess I was the outsider here.