Chapter 3: Sam

"Hey," Sam says. It was a sunny afternoon, there was a light sprinkle that was tolerable.

Katherine smiles, "Hi Sam." Katherine moves over to let Sam sit on the bench next to her.

Sam sits next to Katherine, her hands shake. She grabs onto the edge of the chair, "Katherine, I want to tell you something, I have a crush on..." Sam stops, suddenly at a loss, unable to form words and deciding to spit out the thought instead, "... you."

Katherine looks at Sam in the eyes, "um..." the rain starts to rain down harsher than before. "We have to go inside now." She gathers her stuff and rushes inside.

Sam waits a bit longer before heading inside. Letting what she always imagined as the tears of others fall on her.

***

"So you like her?" Sarah asks after Sam told her what happened earlier that day.

Sam nods slowly, always having a way to portray a story it always seemed harder to mention her feelings out loud.

Sarah looks around, "life can be very daunting, especially when it comes to talking to your crush. I think you were brave though."

Sam smiles weakly, "I don't know, I regret saying anything now."

"Why," Sarah asks, now eating a bag of gummy bears.

Sam was too distracted to notice Sarah eating, "because I can't stop thinking about her now. I know she doesn't like me but its a weird feeling I never really had before. Like this warm feeling inside I want to keep forever."

Sarah swallows, and nods. Sarah's favorite song explodes from her phone. She checks who was texting her, then she frowns. "Sorry, I have to go now. See you tomorrow Sam."

Sarah stands, and hugs Sam. They say their goodbyes and Sarah walks out of the room. Sam waits until she can hear the voice of her mom saying goodbye before moving.

She reaches over to her desk and takes a notepad and pen, she stares out the window and starts to write the date in the upper corner of the page. Slowly she draws a line across the page, purposely making the pen bleed more in certain areas. She switches colors and continues with the same technique until she gets a detailed cornerstone with flowers poking out from the crevices. She looks up, smiles, and continues drawing.

Please tell me how I am doing so far in the comments, like what you like, what you dislike, and questions pertaining to the story, etc., and thank you so much for all the reads, it's really encouraging.

Also I would like to dedicate this to my close friends, who, without them I can't imagine my life in the same way.