Chapter One - The Drive

The sunset made the sky seem like it had gotten into a bloody fight with a crayon box. It airbrushed beyond the wind in an organized pattern. Its sorted colors beamed across for miles filling my eyes with a magenta magical power. Wowing the imaginative part of me. I couldn't see much from my eye leveled surroundings, except for green leafy beasts crowning these lonely streets. Coming to life with every whisper made by the wind. I blinked abruptly, it wasn't my intention to focus so long on anything but the road before me, but I couldn't help it. It's rare that I ever pay close attention to anything these days other than work. Daydreaming is my refresh button. Takes away the unwritten words of the darkness in my past and it's better that way if I just keep my mind busy. That door is locked and I plan to keep it that way. So, I smiled because I wasn't going to let this five hour drive out of town depress my fun. Andre knew too damn well of how much this trip meant to me. Having not seen a broth'a for half a year made it very lonesome after the move. Making it more eager to release some tension eating chips, kicked back watching football. He'd probably make some kind of joke about him being forced to pay all the bills and then try to guilt trip me into coming back. I daydreamed with a smile on my face but soon after swerved to avoid getting hit by the oncoming truck. I guess being in the wrong lane didn't help. As my heartbeat rejected to slow down without restless breathing, I shuttered at a glimpse of what I remembered to be rain. The thunder was as loud as a million drums clashing together, I could peel the bright colored lightning from my eyelids like an onion. I twisted my lips as if I tasted something disgusting and quickly turned up my radio and thumped to the sound of Eve. A little distraction... from my distraction can at least keep me on track here.

The darkness grew around my windows, blackening the already hard to see road. The silence cut deeply in the world, with only my thumping music keeping the cement company. It was restful beyond these yellow lines and I couldn't help but think about my growing enthusiasm with each home I pass. I couldn't wait to walk through those doors. I remembered all of what home meant to me. The gist of happy faces, full belly's and holy spirits. I grinned with a small breath in. At least before. Its peaceful manner abstained from evil. I quickly huffed and shifted in my seat evermore with an anxious growth quite large. The lengthy roadway couldn't be more exhausting. I had only been steering for three hours approximately, but it feels much longer. I tried a rushed breathing exercise to calm my nerves. Something I learned when I was thirteen. I've done this drive once before, I'm sure I've gotten it down by now. Still, the reality of seeing him again sweated my palms, watery, up and down the wheel I had so tightly clasped. Overall, no matter how keen I was in this moment my delight brought a bigger smile to my face than before.

I shuddered out of my thinking as my phone rang. I hit a few buttons and played a cool, "hello?"

"What's up, jackass?" He asked very hilariously. Almost screaming into the speaker.

I rolled my eyes wishing he could see. "Andre you're such a pest."

His obnoxious laughing made it hard for me to attempt a straight face.

"That's why we get along. You're the raid to my ants... or something like that." Andre busted with laughter once more.

"Did you really just compare us to bugs... and bug spray?" I asked very confused.

Andre slightly brushed my question off by saying, "it's something as beautiful as tiny black bugs. Reminds me of you."

I dropped my jaw to the floor. Not only did he insult my appearance but he's also getting a kick-ass time out of it. The instant he starts sounding like a spraying windex bottle is when he finds the context extremely hilarious. Of course I sat there smug at the roads truly wishing my eyes were lasers and Andre was my target.