Chapter 4

"Wait." Mary Wardwell commanded the table, stopping Hilda in her tracks before she had the opportunity to wipe her memory. Perhaps it was Mary, perhaps it was Lilith, perhaps it was a little bit of both. The Spellman family, after all, had underestimated the mortal woman all evening long. They'd underestimated what she'd remembered and what she was capable of.

"I understand that Zelda isn't feeling well, but... before you do whatever it is you're about to do, I must see her, please," Mary pleaded with Hilda, appealing to her soft side, "if it were you, would you want all of your memories with Dr. Cerberus wiped? Please. Let me see her, then you can do with me whatever you would like."

Hilda considered the situation for a moment, then nodded. "If... if you can find Zelda, you may have a moment alone with her, Ms. Wardwell."

Mary nodded before she set her napkin on the table beside her plate and excused herself, heading straight for Zelda's bedroom. She wasn't entirely sure of how she knew the location of the woman's room, but she wasn't willing to question it either. All she knew for sure was that she must see her. She hurried straight up the stairs and down the long, dark corridor to the back bedroom that housed the redhead and knocked urgently, hoping she would answer the door.

"Zelda, please, please let me in," Mary pleaded from outside the bedroom, not entirely sure of why she felt so desperately that she needed to see the eldest of the Spellman sisters. "Please, before I forget all of this, you owe this to me."

Zelda sat up in bed, the sound of Mary's voice ringing in her ears. She must have cried herself to sleep. Was this a dream? There was only one way to find out. Still in her black lace dress, her mascara slightly smudged, Zelda crawled out of bed and rushed to answer the door, greeted by the sight of Mary Wardwell on the other side.

"Zelda...." Mary muttered, the sight of the woman in such an intimate setting catching her off guard, "Zelda... why?"

Mary pushed past her into the bedroom before Zelda had a chance to object. She knew if she didn't, Zelda would refuse her once she regained her senses.

"Mary, I-" Zelda stuttered as she blinked and crossed her arms over her chest, unsure of what to do, "Ms. Wardwell are you alright?" The sound of her name on Mary's lips made her heart beat hard.

"You know very well that I am not alright, Zelda Spellman, and I think you know why," Mary chided, stepping dangerously close to the woman in front of her, "please... before everything changes, before I forget again, please tell me what on earth is going on, Zelda. Tell me how I know you. Tell me why you're in my head and you won't leave it."

Zelda stared at the floor, her heart threatening to beat straight out of her chest. "Ms. Wardwell I cannot do that," she muttered, refusing to look up at her.

Mary could feel the magnetism between them. It was as if a rope tied her heart to the woman's in front of her; like that rope was squeezing her heart harder and harder until it threatened to burst. Finally, Mary stepped closer to Zelda and took her hands in hers, intertwining their fingers. Like a flash of lighting the memories flooded her mind. Nights of passion, quiet sleep riddled mornings in the redhead's arms, petty arguments, late night conversations, stolen kisses. Mary squeezed her hands, reliving every moment between them in an instant. Zelda felt the intensity of her touch and pulled her in closer, letting go of one hand in favor of wrapping an arm around her waist, her lips meeting Mary's in a clumsy embrace. She kissed her gently, hesitantly, as if she was scared to break the school teacher.

Mary couldn't breathe. She felt positively starved for Zelda's kiss. How long had she gone without and when, exactly, had she begun craving it? Mary had never, ever felt this way for another person before, much less another woman. When had it happened, and how? She couldn't even recall meeting Zelda, much less falling in love with her. Mary squeezed her eyelids shut and sighed, then backed away from her lover.