Chapter 16

Zelda descended the stairs of her home in a long black sleeveless gown, her red hair done in a perfectly coiffed updo, pearl earrings dangling from her earlobes. Her eyeliner was winged just so, her lips tinged a dark crimson. She was a sight to behold; the dress hugged every curve and her cleavage was nearly spilling out. Normally she wouldn't have tried so hard, but she wanted to impress Mary. "Sabrina, are you ready to go?" She called from the bottom of the stairs as she checked her phone, annoyed that her niece was running behind.

"Coming!" Sabrina called as she bounded down the stairs in her red mini-dress, her platinum blonde curls swept up on her head. Her lips were tinged the same crimson as her aunt's; clearly they had gotten ready together. "Aunt Zee, you look beautiful. Miss Wardwell is going to be floored!"

Zelda couldn't help the smirk that crossed her lips. Both she and Mary had been so busy at their respective schools they'd hardly seen each other for a week. She did hope her appearance would evoke some kind of reaction from her long lost girlfriend. "Thank you, Sabrina, you look lovely. Is Nicholas meeting you there?"

Sabrina nodded as she followed her aunt out of the house, wrapping her arms around herself as they stepped into the chilly evening. They quickly loaded themselves into the car and off they went to Baxter high, making quick work of getting to the school. Once there, Zelda and Sabrina went their separate ways to find their respective significant others, Zelda quickly spotting Mary Wardwell amongst a group of teachers near the back of the school gymnasium.

Mary was clad in a deep maroon, strapless tea length gown, the bodice hugging her petite frame as the bottom puffed out from her waist. A vintage treasure, no doubt, the gown fit her like a glove, as if it had been hand made especially for her. Her hair was swept back in soft waves, one side pinned loosely while the other flowed freely. Zelda stopped for a moment to take in the sight as Mary let her head fall backwards in laughter at something one of her teachers had said. It was an image Zelda wanted to remember forever; Mary perfectly done up, looking happier than she had ever seen her, laughing so hard she thought the woman might burst.

"Hello," Zelda smiled politely as she greeted the group, joining them from behind Mary.

Mary turned to spot her, then grinned from ear to ear, "Zelda, you made it!" She beamed, then grabbed her by the arm to pull her closer into the circle of teachers so she could introduce to her to everyone. "Zelda, this is James- he teaches history, he took over for me when I took the post as principal. This is Lisa, she teaches English. Jackie teaches Spanish, Joe teaches Algebra, Richard biology, and Kristen, Chemistry. Everyone this is my ah- Zelda Spellman, Sabrina Spellman's aunt. She helped to plan the dance and, uh, volunteered to chaperone this evening."

Zelda's heart sank at the omission that she had come along as Mary's date- Mary's idea in the first place. "Ah, lovely to meet you all," She smiled pleasantly, nodding her head instead of extending her hand to each individual in the group. "Thank you all for doing such a marvelous job teaching our children."

Zelda did her best to listen to the chorus of compliments about her niece and the dance decorations, but truly, she heard none of it. Why had Mary lied about her? She raised an eyebrow as Richard, the biology teacher, placed a flirtatious hand on Mary's wrist. "if you'll all excuse me, I think I'll get myself a drink."

Mary nodded and smiled at her, but didn't make any effort to follow the woman who had so clearly made a tremendous effort to be with her for the evening. Fuming, Zelda stalked off to the drinks table and poured herself a cup of punch, then pulled the small flask from her cleavage and spiked it with whiskey. She was glad she'd thought better of not bringing her trusty flask. Bitterly, she watched on as Mary continued to talk and laugh with her colleagues, Richard slinking closer and closer to her as the moments wore on.