7. Say Hello 2 Heaven

Seattle, WALate Fall 20001 Year Later

Seattle, WA
Late Fall 2000
1 Year Later

As I sit on the rooftop of Spin City, for once my mind is clear. I couldn't stand to be at home alone anymore so I came here. A sigh leaves my lips as an unconscious smile forms when I think of the man I had spent the afternoon with two days before. I miss my father more than I can explain, but it's almost as if a weight has lifted from my chest today. I'm interrupted by the door swinging open and Felix steps over the threshold looking out of breath, like he'd run up the many stairs to get here.

"There's something you need to see," He breathes and I scrunch my eyebrows. "Come on. It's on the television." I follow after him down the metal spiral stairs to the ground floor where a very familiar tune filters through my ears from the television behind the cash register.

It's been so lonely without you here, like a bird without a song. Nothin' can stop these lonely tears from fallin.' Tell me, where did I go wrong? I could put my arms around any girl I choose, but it just reminds me of you.

His voice rings out true, filled with the same emotion his fans love him for. Three long years ago, when I first met him at Spin City, this is what I was talking about. The tears start to flow as I listen to his voice sing the song my father and I wrote together. The devastation in his tone, the pure emotion is the soulful truth of it all. It's what I told him the day we met. His voice is powerful if only he'd use it in the right way. Here he is, doing just that as a tribute to my father on live television.

Chris sits on a stool in the studio recording room, his prized acoustic poised on his crossed legs. The same guitar he'd played for me on countless occasions. My favorites were always in the living room of our apartment. A pair of aviator shades cover his eyes and I think my heart would break in two if I could see the sadness his voice reflects in those pools.

I don't even realize I'm crying until Ryan steps over and wraps an arm around my shoulders. Once I'm aware of the moisture on my cheeks, I do my best to stifle it. I've done nothing but cry for what feels like an eternity and I don't want it anymore.

"It's okay, Jo." I shake my head and let out a shaky breath as the song comes to an end. Chris says a few words into the studio microphone about what a loss it was when Joseph Lightfoot passed and then exits the stage.

"I have to go," I mumble while reaching for my purse resting on the counter.

"Where are you going?" Ryan calls after me.

"To try and fix this."

++

There's a cluster of people standing outside the studio's main entrance hoping to get just a peek of anyone remotely famous coming or going. I roll my eyes as I step to the security guard standing with an unkind expression.