fourteen ; taking sides

————————————

————————————

Aurora Areli

I FELT MY FACE go pale with shock as I turned to look at Harry. Everybody else in the Hall turned as well. Judging by the stunned look on his face, Harry was just as unaware of everyone else that his name would be called. But I still didn't know what to think.

There was no applause. Instead, there was a buzzing like a swarm of angry bees that began to fill the Hall; some students were standing up to get a better look at Harry as he sat, frozen, in his seat next to me.

Up at the top table, Professor McGonagall had got to her feet and swept past Ludo Bagman and Professor Karkaroff to whisper urgently to Professor Dumbledore, who bent his ear towards her, frowning slightly.

Harry turned to look at Ron and Hermione, who were watching him, open mouthed like the rest of the Gryffindors, before his panicked eyes locked on me.

"I didn't put my name in," he said blankly. "You know I didn't."

"I —" I began, but couldn't find the right words. I wanted to believe him, I really did, but who else could have put his name in the Goblet?

Harry had promised me that he hadn't found a way around the Age Line, that he hadn't put his name in. He wouldn't lie to me, right?

Right?

At the top table, Professor Dumbledore had straightened up, nodding to Professor McGonagall.

"Harry Potter!" he called again. "Harry! Up here, if you please!"

"Go on," Hermione whispered, giving Harry a slight push. I bit my lip, part of me wanting to stop him from going.

Harry got to his feet, trod on the hem of his robes and stumbled slightly. I didn't know whether I wanted to hug him or cry. He set off up the gap between the Gryffindor and Hufflepuff tables. The buzzing grew louder and louder the closer he got to the teachers' table.

Dumbledore said something to Harry when he was near enough, his usual smile absent. Harry moved along the teachers' table towards the chamber the others went into, but before he went inside, he turned back and caught my eye. Not knowing what to do, I sent him a small nod. He visibly gulped, nodded back, and disappeared into the chamber.

As soon as the door shut behind Harry, the buzzing loudened into a roar of talking, yelling, and complaints, especially from the Hufflepuff table. Some of them had even gone so far as to stand up and shout at us Gryffindors and Dumbledore, who wore an especially grim expression.

"Silence!" he said loudly, and it took a second, but the angry rumble of voices quieted down. When the Hall was silent once again, Dumbledore continued, "I understand that some of you may be upset, but I must ask that you refrain from voicing your opinions on the situation in front of our champions, and do your best to consider another point of view. A little compassion can go a long way.