Chapter Two

Overtime Remus and I seemed to differ personality wise, I don't wanna act like I'm a saint but Remus seemed to grow more and more entitled each day.

He wanted everything, and I mean everything, Sweets, luxurious clothing, fancy furniture no matter what it was he wanted all of it.

My taste remained rather simple I wasn't above a lavish life but I knew my limits, on top of that things became rather tense in our family, our father died not long ago making us worry about who would take the throne.

One very very late night while sneaking around the castle past my bed time I overheard an important meeting going on between my mother and her most important constituents.

I pressed my ear up against the door and listened very closely "You're highness, you can't possibly be suggesting this!" The stranger shouted, it was actually really frightening how loud he was.

"I am! I think it's the only way to protect him!" I recognized that voice, it was my mother what was she talking about?
"What about your other son!? We can't put him in charge! no offense but you know King Alexander intended for Romulus to rule for a good reason-"

"I know that Sir Picani and-"

"And what if they try to murder Remus-"

"Then we will have a back up King! I know what I'm doing Emile! Please don't make this harder on me than it has to be!" I couldn't see her but judging by her tone she was tearing up "I need a moment..." I heard her foot steps approaching the door so I dashed to hide behind one of the curtains so she wouldn't see me out of bed.
She quickly opened the door and slammed it shut, I could hear her muttering something to her self and sniffling but I couldn't make out what exactly she was saying.
What was happening? Why was my mom crying? What were they screaming about? I needed to talk about this to someone, I stepped out from behind the curtain to go to bed to talk to remus but when I looked up I saw Sir Picani standing there as if he had been waiting for me to walk out.
He must've saw me moving behind the curtain after mom left and wasn't too happy about it.

He adjusted his glasses "Ahem, hello Romulus." He looked down at me with a friendly smile.

I looked at my feet timidly and mumbled some sort of apology for eaves dropping but he just put his hand on my shoulder sympathetically.
"Please call me Picani and it's fine Romulus." He said sweetly, Picani always did have a way with making me feel more at ease.

"Oh....okay." I said timidly "Listen Romulus, I know you were eavesdropping on me and your mom talking, your mother has some stressful stuff going on and she would prefer if you didn't tell anyone about this okay?"

I slowly nodded and walked to my bedroom feeling conflicted, I decided I wouldn't tell Remus as a favor to mom and promptly went to bed.

The very next day my mother called for me to meet her in the garden before Remus woke up.

I obliged and as I walked into the garden I saw my mother facing away from me and holding a rose she just grabbed from one of the bushes.
"Good morning mommy what do you need?" I asked ever so curious.

She looked at me and sighed "...follow me to the gazebo, we'll walk and talk." Her voice was lower than usual as if she had some sort of grave depressing news to tell me.

"Okay, mommy!" We began walking, I looked up at her she seemed a lot more serious than usual.

"What's the problem momma?" "Romulus, my dear sweet Romulus, we are at war." I looked down sadly I had heard about "war" before but I never quite understood what it was.

From my understanding, it was just adults fighting for pointless reasons only on a much grander scale.

"And I'm afraid Romulus that because of this war you are in grave danger..." I became incredibly frightened, what did she mean danger? We finally reached the gazebo and sat down.

My mother looked around carefully to make sure nobody was around to hear.
"I've arranged for you to be taken in by Sir Picani discreetly.... you will be announced dead to the public, most importantly though you, Remus and I will be separated."
That sentence shook me to my very core "Will it be forever!? Can you visit me?! Have you told Remus?!" I began tearing up.

She looked around and sighed "I don't know and please don't scream people will hear you and no I'm sorry, I can't Romulus, it's too dangerous for me and you and as for Remus...I haven't told him the plan as I fear he wouldn't be able to keep it a secret." .

She teared up a little "please Romulus don't blame me for this or think this is some kind of excuse for me to get rid of you, it's even harder on me than you...I just don't want you to die and this is the only way I can protect you, I'm sorry.".

I sniffled "it's okay I understand...I'm ready to do what I need to do." she smiled and wiped away my tears "thank you for understanding...now let's spend this last day together as a family...".