Chapter 8: The Chair Or The Phone

"Are you sure thats what you want?" Chrollo asks Kurapika. "I'll get angry."

".. N..no! Don't get angry! I won't call him! I'll stay here, I'll stay!" Kurapika panics, crying.

"Get back into your chair." Chrollo orders. "And I won't hurt you."

"But if you do." Leorio says, fading back into vision. "He will hurt you anyway."

Kurapika stares at the two of them. Feeling his brain go crazy.

"He will never understand what you did." "Help me understand."

"I will find you." "I will protect you."

"You need me." "You need help."

"Wait for me." "Call me."

Kurapika screams, his brain feeling like it'll explode.

"Leave me alone! Let me go! Let me die!!!"

"Do it then." "Don't do it."

"End the pain." "Cure the pain."

"Get into the chair. "Get the phone."

"Get the phone and watch him and you die?"

"Or get into the chair and live in a world of pain."

Kurapika curls up into a ball, sobbing to himself. He wants to end things, but he wants to live on. He wants to stay, but he wants to leave. He wants Chrollo, He wants Leorio.

Kurapika turns to look at the chair, the blood stained, cold metal chair.

Kurapika turns to the phone, a dusty, old flip phone. He sits himself up and stands up slowly.

"I don't want to die.." Kurapika says, staggering towards the phone.

He grasps hold of the phone with his small, thin hands and lifts the phone over his head. Leorio's goofy smile pops into Kurapika's mind and he aims the phone at the floor, hoping to smash it.

The phone rings.

Kurapika's heart drops heavily, almost dropping the phone. He takes a peek at the phone, seeing the caller who is unknown.

Kurapika's shaking finger presses the accept button, but hears no one on the other side. Kurapika trembles, holding his breath, not knowing what to do. His whole body freezes as the suspense of silence grows inside him. Each passing second feels like a minute, with no a sound. Kurapika feels light headed and dizzy, his feet grow numb and his heart beating rapidly.

Kurapika finally tries to muster enough volume in his voice to say something, but before he does the phone hangs up.

Air escapes his lungs and he drops to the ground, the tense feeling in his muscles fades away. His heart slows its pace. Kurapika pants loudly.

After a couple of minutes pass, he looks up. A burst of unknown energy enters his whole body.

He takes a long deep breath, "I need to get out of here."

Kurapika out of the blue stands up and races out the room. He enters a basement with a ton of boxes. Kurapika doesn't hesitate and starts scavenging for food, cloths and other valuable items.

"Where.... where am I getting all this energy? Why now?" Kurapika thought, as he took a blue jacket.

He gathers up 20 dollars, the blue jacket and a oat meal bar. And marches off upstairs.

The stairs lead to a hallway, the entrances door on the other side of the hall. Kurapika starts running towards the door, hearing a thud behind him.

He ignores it and continues to run, pulling open the door and running out into a forest.

"... Everything else from there is fuzzy. Aside from hitchhiking a truck." Kurapika finishes telling Leorio.