Chapter 10

We dragged Leo and Piper all the way to a river. Well, it wasn't really a river, but more of a ravine. The steep sides would have made it hard to dunk both Leo and Piper into the water.

I stood there, staring at the water, all the while thinking about the manica in my bag. It was like a heavy weight. I felt like as long as I had the power, I should be using it. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity.

"Pepper," Jason called my name, snapping me back into reality.

I blinked. "Yeah. What's up?"

"Do you think you could--"

I interrupted him. "Use the manica? I don't really see a need for it, but if you want me too. Should I have used it earlier? I probably should have. It would have made that fight so much easier."

Jason snapped me back into reality again. "I was going to ask you if you could do the thing with the water that you did at camp." He pursed his lips.

"Oh, I can try." I didn't really know how to start. I stood there, staring at the water. Last time, it happened because of my emotions, but now, I could feel a sort of connection in the small of my back. I took a breath, trying to imagine the water coming up in waves at a time. I closed my eyes, concentrating even more.

I opened my eyes again, seeing a large wave above the walls of the ravine. I imagined it swirling around Leo and Piper, dousing them in water, and washing all of the gold off. I got somewhat excited to see that it was working, but as soon as Piper and Leo were "defrosted," so to speak, I immediately dropped the water back into the ravine. It was exhausting, and definitely not as easy as using the manica. I was tempted just to take it out of my bag and put it on. I just wanted to wear it. Not use it.

Leo soon woke up and we were off.

We sat in the cave around the campfire Leo built. Well, Leo, Coach, Piper and Jason sat. I stood, pacing furiously.

"Why are you pacing?" Leo chattered.

"Is this about the manica?" Jason frowned.

I ran a hand through my hair. "You don't understand how much power it gave me. It was like," I stammered. "I don't even know. I have to use it. It will help us out so much. Imagine it. We could defeat the whole army of giants in a day." I eyed my backpack, which was next to Hedge. I wouldn't be able to ask for it discreetly now. I would have to wait until we were moving again in order to put it on.

"I think you have a problem." Leo muttered.

I shouted. "I don't have a problem. I just want to try it on. Let me put it on." I tried to charge forward but in a second, Jason was standing and holding me back.

He eyed the coach. "Can you guard the bag?"

The coach nodded. "She looks crazy."

"I'm not crazy." I shouted again.

Piper slowly started to stir, eventually sitting up. "He turned me into gold." Her teeth chattered. I resumed my furious pacing. "Oh gods."

"Hey, you're fine now." Jason reassured her.

"L-Leo?" She asked.

"Present and un-goldified." He sneezed.

Jason looked at me for a second, like he expected me to explain. "You took forever to un-gold. You have hypothermia." I clenched and unclenched my fists.

Jason sighed. "We risked as much nectar as we could. The coach did nature magic."

Hedge grinned. "Sports healing. Your breath might smell like wild mushrooms and Gatorade for a couple of days. You probably won't die."